Btrfs Sees A Number Of Improvements With Linux 5.8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by archkde View Post
    I fail to see how this could possibly happen. Can anyone explain that to me?
    if(error) mark_readonly();

Comment

Originally posted by pkese View Post
      First you write new metadata, then you delete the old
      you can't delete old when it's used by some snapshot

Comment

Originally posted by archkde View Post
        Btrfs introduced a "GlobalReserve" to make sure that this temporary space is always available.
        s/always/usually/

Comment

Originally posted by tajjada View Post
          readwrite, showing an error about failing to recover the transaction log.
          did you try mount -o nologreplay or mount -o norecovery ?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            you can't delete old when it's used by some snapshot
            Recursive snapshots don't exist.

Comment

Originally posted by tajjada View Post
              Sometimes (rarely) on unclean shutdown of my laptop, if the power is interrupted due to lack of battery, on next boot the kernel refuses to mount the filesystem readwrite, showing an error about failing to recover the transaction log.
              I had that happen once to me. Although in my case the error was unrecoverable (the data was recoverable but the metadata could not be repaired) and more serious.

The SSD in the laptop somehow didn't write some of the data in the middle of its cache. The btrfs metadata sequence numbers were impossible because blocks that had to have been committed were not there.

Anyway, apparently bad SSDs which don't either commit everything or roll back to a fully consistent state really mess up btrfs metadata.

Comment

Working...
              X