Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.7 Kernel Released With New Apple Driver, Official Intel Gen12 Graphics

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by birdie View Post
    Not supporting experimental features
    And who's in charge of deciding if something's "experimental"? You?

    Originally posted by birdie View Post
    which are still rife with show stoppers, right.
    Typical birdie FUD, right.

    Originally posted by birdie View Post
    Once Wayland becomes a decent graphics subsystem <...>
    -EWORKSFORME

    Originally posted by birdie View Post
    Compatibility issues? What? Do you mean kernel developers breaking kernel APIs all the time? Where's NVIDIA's fault in that?
    NVIDIA's fault lies in not following the preferred Linux kernel development model (i. e. upstream all your shit).

    Originally posted by birdie View Post
    Again, I couldn't care less whether drivers are open or closed however I do care whether they work or not, and how well they work.
    I do, too.

    So, would you kindly show me where's the dynamic power management support for render offload for my friend's GTX 1080 Mobile in NVIDIA's proprietary drivers?

    Originally posted by birdie View Post
    Time and again, open source fan prove that they don't care whether something works or not as long as it's open source
    Time and again, birdie proves that he doesn't care about anything except cheap trolling.

    Comment


    • #12
      For those complaining about open bugs for AMD GPUs: I've been living with a bug that affected the desktop repaint function on nvidia for almost 2 years, and I'll never forget this. Compared to this, one or two broken games is just commonplace. The difference is that, if someone finds a fix, they can actually implement it. Long live FOSS

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by Volta View Post

        Closed source quality? Like Windows updates breaking system all the time, nvidia crashes, stuttering and so on? Where is nvidia bugtracker? Last time I had nvidia it was crashing in Windows.
        I don't know what your definition of "last time" is but if you are speaking generally this is bullshit. I have been dual booting Windows (due to gaming) for 15 years on 10+ systems with NVIDIA cards and ever since Vista era I haven't gotten any "windows updates breaking systems" (nor has my family or my friends for that matter).

        Honestly I am getting the impression that Phoronix users that make such claims either haven't used Windows since 10 years ago or are just spreading FUD.

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

          Lol. The only issue I have with my RX 580 is a bug in Windows 10. When my monitor blanks out after 10 minutes it may or may not start blanking on and off again until I do a full power off and power on cycle for my display. Linux works just fine when that happens. Proprietary people problems.
          I have the same problem, but for me it's enough to switch display source via monitor's menu. I'm nearly sure it's Windows 10 bug, because it doesn't happen in Linux and it didn't happen in Windows 7.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by melancoly
            If systemD is detected on the system then when it finishes (hopefully quick with nVME SSDs) it writes a mini mbr which displays a message: Linux sucks try OpenBSD.
            if (BSD)
            printf("Dumb");

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

              I don't know what your definition of "last time" is but if you are speaking generally this is bullshit. I have been dual booting Windows (due to gaming) for 15 years on 10+ systems with NVIDIA cards and ever since Vista era I haven't gotten any "windows updates breaking systems" (nor has my family or my friends for that matter).

              Honestly I am getting the impression that Phoronix users that make such claims either haven't used Windows since 10 years ago or are just spreading FUD.
              Last time like few hours ago. I just 'fixed' broken WiFi after Windows 10 update. About two weeks ago I 'fixed' another friend's problem with crashing Windows. The same culprit: broken update. You're either lying or making no sense. Windows breaking after upgrades are known and common problems. There are dozens of them. Broken nvidia drivers is another problem.

              https://www.techradar.com/news/windo...-how-to-fix-it
              https://www.maketecheasier.com/lates...date-problems/
              https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk...ndows-10-free/
              https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk...ndows-10-free/

              It seems even microsoft is spreading FUD about Windows. Fanboy's logic at its best! Windows is a freaking joke.

              Microsoft’s new KB4556799 Windows 10 update is causing a myriad of problems for users, including Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) crashes, deleted data, performance issues, broken audio and more.
              A state of an art of brokenness.
              Last edited by Volta; 01 June 2020, 11:41 AM.

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by Volta View Post

                Last time like few hours ago. I just 'fixed' broken WiFi after Windows 10 update. About two weeks ago I 'fixed' another friend's problem with crashing Windows. The same culprit: broken update. You're either lying or making no sense. Windows breaking after upgrades are known and common problems. There are dozens of them. Broken nvidia drivers is another problem.

                https://www.techradar.com/news/windo...-how-to-fix-it
                https://www.maketecheasier.com/lates...date-problems/
                https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk...ndows-10-free/
                https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk...ndows-10-free/

                It seems even microsoft is spreading FUD about Windows. Fanboy's logic at its best! Windows is a freaking joke.



                A state of an art of brokenness.
                Quoting random news articles doesn't prove your point. I have had plenty of problems with Linux historically as well (crashes, wiped data etc etc) so going by your logic Linux is also a freaking joke.

                In fact in terms of stability specifically I have had more issues with Linux compared to Windows. My swap drive for example randomly stopped working with latest Linux kernel.

                The main thing making Linux stable in server space is just freezing kernel and backporting specific fixes.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Just for a warning, because data loss is one of the worst things that can happen to an user. The best one can do is to disable updates (don't tell me this will impact security, because you can't make Windows more insecure):

                  https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk...ious-problems/

                  “This update KB4532693 caused all the data on my laptop to be erased. Even after uninstalling the update, the laptop would not successfully boot. Then “Resetting” the laptop to factory settings while choosing to keep all personal data erased everything. EVERYTHING. This is a major screw up. Unbelievable.” - source

                  “I have no words, this just happened to me, I just came to confirm it, it’s all over the web, but it’s not just a few files, for me it was dozens of gigabytes of data, this is definitely the end of the line” - source

                  “Installing this update trashed my user profile and created a temp. Uninstalling it returned my user profile back to near normal. I tried installing it a 2nd time with the same results.” - source

                  “It stopped me signing into Windows. Made all my programs disappear from the Desktop, Taskbar and Quick Start removed my Personal settings Wallpaper. Would not permit System Restore to work. My keyboard changed. Stopped a multitude of my programs working including email. eM Client and browser Firefox. As others have already stated all the programs I managed to get up and running failed as soon as I restarted due to the temporary status… My stress levels were nearly off the scale. Microsoft really needs to get their act together.” - source

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

                    Quoting random news articles doesn't prove your point. I have had plenty of problems with Linux historically as well (crashes, wiped data etc etc) so going by your logic Linux is also a freaking joke.

                    In fact in terms of stability specifically I have had more issues with Linux compared to Windows. My swap drive for example randomly stopped working with latest Linux kernel.

                    The main thing making Linux stable in server space is just freezing kernel and backporting specific fixes.
                    Wow, I can also install the latest kernel on my own, but I wouldn't use it in production. Your levels of idiocy are too high. You against dozens of users suffering from Windows updates + my own experience with this broken mess. Well, I believe you. You have a lot of problems.

                    Microsoft is aware of some customers logging into temporary profile after installing KB4532693, on both versions 1903 and 1909
                    I think MS fanboys should believe MS, shouldn't they?
                    Last edited by Volta; 01 June 2020, 12:01 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by Volta View Post

                      Wow, I can also install the latest kernel on my own, but I wouldn't use it in production. Your levels of idiocy are too high. You against dozens of users suffering from Windows updates + my own experience with this broken mess. Well, I believe you. You have a lot of problems.



                      I think MS fanboys should believe MS, shouldn't they?
                      What exactly are you trying to prove here. You are the one making idiotic bold claims, not me. I never said either system is without issues, you are however implying that Windows is constantly breaking for everyone and Linux is a zenith of stability (hint its not and I know this because I have reported plenty of bugs upstream either directly or via distros).

                      So what is this going to be a case of, my word vs yours? At least I am not stupid enough to post results from Google searches to try and "prove a point".

                      Yes Windows has problems, I didn't say otherwise. However I am not making general claims that a system either always crashes or never does.

                      Only zealots do this unless they point to specific bug reports and not results from random Google searches.

                      Oh and stop with this desperate Ms fanboy shit, this is tiring especially considering that as I stated earlier I only use Windows for gaming.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X