Reiser5 File-System Working On New Features Like Data Tiering, Burst Buffers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Please stop! Come on can't we have one peaceful Reiser5 article?!
    Or would that be Rest In Peaceful ?

Comment

With respect to btrfs, my understanding is that it's really stable for most configurations but still risky for RAID 5 or 6. I know there are horror stories from the early days of btrfs, but - to my knowledge - it has been a safe choice for quite some time.

I've been using it almost exclusively for almost ten years on my personal machines.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Please stop! Come on can't we have one peaceful Reiser5 article?!
        Seems like any mention of the Reiser filesystem always gets buried in jokes.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
          With respect to btrfs, my understanding is that it's really stable for most configurations but still risky for RAID 5 or 6. I know there are horror stories from the early days of btrfs, but - to my knowledge - it has been a safe choice for quite some time.

I've been using it almost exclusively for almost ten years on my personal machines.
          Yes SINGLE, DUP, RAID0, RAID1, RAID10 are all fine andand considered stable for quite a while now. RAID5/6 has some issues still, but mostly those bugs are hard to hit. Still, RAID5/6 should be used with care. Simple reason for the RAID5/6 issue is because there's little interest from industry to use it. It's either RAID1/10 OR massive scale out object storage solutions that matter. In terms of home use, raid56 is of course important, but I recommend using Single and then a separate disk for backups instead.

I used ReiserFS in the beginning. Had a lot of promise. It is a terrible shame to what happened, and I think Hans's actions shouldn't reflect how this file systemis viewed. But in light of advanced file systems like Btrfs and ZFS there isn't much need for it IMHO.

Edit: Proxy device looks a very interesting topic. There have been talks to support something similar (hot data tracking) in Btrfs, but as of yet does not exist.
          Last edited by S.Pam; 26 May 2020, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
            Cool. Introspective.

So, Reiser5?
            Do you mean retrospective? Why don't you try Reiser5 and report back. I highly doubt that there's any compelling feature that I don't already have, or if there is it's probably some tiny corner use case I don't need. Reiser became obscure because it just wasn't that great, and I doubt that the passage of time has made it enough better to be bothered with.

Comment

Originally posted by Spam View Post

Yes SINGLE, DUP, RAID0, RAID1, RAID10 are all fine andand considered stable for quite a while now. RAID5/6 has some issues still, but mostly those bugs are hard to hit. Still, RAID5/6 should be used with care. Simple reason for the RAID5/6 issue is because there's little interest from industry to use it. It's either RAID1/10 OR massive scale out object storage solutions that matter. In terms of home use, raid56 is of course important, but I recommend using Single and then a separate disk for backups instead.
              Yeah, I use single storage and a combination of scheduled rsync and syncthing for backups. For home users I think it's extremely convenient to use single disks so you are able to just pop a drive out of one machine and stick it into another and instantly access the data. If a disk fails, you just junk it, put in a replacement, and repopulate the data from backups.

With RAID5/6 you need to move the entire disk array and its configuration around, and on a disk failure you need to do a repair.

Originally posted by Spam View Post
              I used ReiserFS in the beginning. Had a lot of promise. It is a terrible shame to what happened, and I think Hans's actions shouldn't reflect how this file systemis viewed. But in light of advanced file systems like Btrfs and ZFS there isn't much need for it IMHO.
              Seconded.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

and don't forget the anti-systemd trolling
                and pro-linux/anti-bsd, pro-gnome/anti-qt, pro-qt/kde/anti-gnome, evil nvidia/saintly amd, best-thing-since-sliced-bread/gpl vs bad-let-me-steal-your-code-bsd license.. list goes on.

Working Ignore list as a Premium feature would be killing feature..

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                  Do you mean retrospective? Why don't you try Reiser5 and report back. I highly doubt that there's any compelling feature that I don't already have, or if there is it's probably some tiny corner use case I don't need. Reiser became obscure because it just wasn't that great, and I doubt that the passage of time has made it enough better to be bothered with.
                  well, actually reiser3 was awesome back in time and it had a lot of use cases where it really shined.
                  It became less relevant with time because the personal story of Hans.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
                    They should rename it. I don't want to have anything common with this bloody mess.
                    I keep wondering why they don't... It's like making a big boat and calling it Titanic II

Comment

Originally posted by Chugworth View Post

Seems like any mention of the Reiser filesystem always gets buried in jokes.
                      Jokes - or rants. Lots of people think it's a worse system to use - practically criminal to use - just because of what Hans Reiser did "off work".

Comment

Working...
                      X