No announcement yet.

Reiser5 File-System Working On New Features Like Data Tiering, Burst Buffers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember about 2002 or so when it was all the rage because it was the first journaling fs with kernel support or something like that. It's been many many years since that feature was unique or since reiserfs was competitive performance-wise. I used it in SuSE for a couple years back then. It was ok, but not a game changer. People thought that with journaling your would no longer have to do backups, just like they think that with zfs and btrfs today you don't need backups. But everyone quickly found out how mistaken an idea that was, just as it still is.

Comment

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post

The fact is that, like it or not, the murder of his (ex-)wife by Hans Reiser was also the murder of ReiserFS by Hans Reiser. This case was the end of the road for all three: Hans Reiser, his wife and ReiserFS. ReiserFS is no longer an interesting Linux FS, just a dead project still trying to escape its fate. Now, the interesting questions for the Linux FS world are: Will ZFS ever be mainlined? Will Btrfs ever be perfectly stable? Will Stratis makes integrating advanced features directly in FS obsolete? Will BcacheFS be THE FS?
      Reiser3 was a pretty good FS, and, as you can see, it is not dead.

ZFS is not going to be mainlined in the foreseeable future;
      btrfs is stable enough right now (there's no such a thing like a "perfectly stable fs");
      stratis, being pushed by RH might find it's usage niche, but won't be the answer to all the storage problems;
      bcachefs: don't know.

Comment

I think Michael should put a minimum year barrier to register in this forums, for god shake...

- Reiser article. Bloody stuff, hahaha!!

- Intel article: But the vulnerabilities and the next year this will be slower, haha!! How funny I am!!

Comment

Originally posted by ktecho View Post
          I think Michael should put a minimum year barrier to register in this forums, for god shake...

- Reiser article. Bloody stuff, hahaha!!

- Intel article: But the vulnerabilities and the next year this will be slower, haha!! How funny I am!!
          and don't forget the anti-systemd trolling

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

and don't forget the anti-systemd trolling
            Yeah...

Maybe Michael should put a field with the years of the profile, si so one could filter out posts from people with less than X years.

​​​​​​I was like that when I had 15 years old. Fuck this, haha! Fuck that, haha!

So maybe that's the only problem...

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow
              No, no, no, you idiot. Dr. Crippen learned the hard way that want quicklime. Ordinary lime preserves flesh when you wet it.
              Bah. Why the bleep doesn't the system let people fix typos on unapproved posts?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Please stop! Come on can't we have one peaceful Reiser5 article?!
                I would KILL for an article about Reiser withou....... damn.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

Reiser3 was a pretty good FS, and, as you can see, it is not dead.

ZFS is not going to be mainlined in the foreseeable future;
                  btrfs is stable enough right now (there's no such a thing like a "perfectly stable fs");
                  stratis, being pushed by RH might find it's usage niche, but won't be the answer to all the storage problems;
                  bcachefs: don't know.
                  Back before ext3, reiserfs was the one that gave me the least trouble. I tried JFS, XFS and ext2 and they all cost me data at one point (usually power outage related). FS corruptions can happen, but neither XFS nor JFS were able to properly recover in some cases. ReiserFS did quite well. It was always a pain that I needed custom kernels to use it. So when ext3 (and later ext4) came about, there was no longer a good reason to go through these hoops.

For me ext4 works just fine now. Yes, btrfs has a few nice features (dedup, snapshots, ...), but again, it managed to eat data and get the filesystem into unrecoverable states more than I would like from an FS. The worst thing I had with ext4 is that I lost a few freshly written files. Everything else just came back to life. Also btrfs needs a lot more care to not slaughter the desktop performance (starting with journald, ending with VM images, docker etc.).

So from a just-works perspective, I currently see no reason to leave ext4. (I still hope that ReiserFS some day ends up in the kernel tree.)

Comment

Cool. Introspective.

So, Reiser5?
                    Hi

Comment

Originally posted by ktecho View Post

Yeah...

Maybe Michael should put a field with the years of the profile, si so one could filter out posts from people with less than X years.

​​​​​​I was like that when I had 15 years old. Fuck this, haha! Fuck that, haha!

So maybe that's the only problem...
                      maybe he should not plumb every tiny not too newsworthy poops in the quest for page views, ...

Comment

Working...
                      X