• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
    ... then X11 could have 4 years out of all mainstream distros
    nvidia is not amused

Comment

Back to fixed bugs, this wine version fix in my case alt-tab age of empires II issue and text in chat window (cheats)

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
        I'd say too little too late. They should have collaborated with dxvk developers.
        Why would it be "too late"?. As an end-user you just want things to work and not what/how it comes with the project.

In any case, props to the wine developers to get it to at least to work with a vulkan-backend. DXVK was a workaround to begin with, the developer just got tired of waiting and just made an implementation thyself which is respectful in of itself. The highlight of open source right there.

Comment

I think we'd be forgiven for our skepticism toward this new Vulkan effort within WineD3D, when Wine Staging 5.8 with WineD3D (Not DXVK) in 2020 still handles Direct3D 11 games like Assassins Creed Origins / Discovery Tour Ancient Egypt as such (mind you with about 1 to 3 FPS on a GTX 1070 / Core i7 6700U):

Comment

On FreeBSD please build 5.9 with https://source.winehq.org/patches/data/185684

Otherwise the news for FreeBSD couldn't be better. 5.7 - 5.8 were crashing on startup due to the "splitting DLLs into PE and Unix portions" changes, and FreeBSD's different dlinfo(). That's fixed now. Also FreeBSD wasn't ever loading DLLs at correct base addresses, due to its different mmap() flags, breaking some applications. Fixed too.

My Linux VM isn't running any more.

Comment

DXVK is written in C++, while Wine is C. This makes the codebase not easily importable, and i suspect the wine devs kinda want everything the same language

That said, the development cycle for DXVK has been like 10x the speed of wine, where you usually see upstream fixes years old. Same with current VKD3D (d3d12 project), this is more or less not really usable in its current upstream form, but the branched vkd3d (the one proton uses) is quite usable for loads of games (but needs a patch for wine).

Thing is tho, that if you want to play recent games today, you kinda need to use either DXVK (aswell as possibly a patched/tweaked wine), or steam/proton. Sure, its nice to play that old "EDB game my grandma used to play back in the -90'ies", but lets be real... a DX11 or DX12 game with some major graphics, default wine does not cut it, and will not for ages

Comment

So I've been playing Warcraft 3 Reforged on Wine, without DXVK the colours look really dark (on both Intel & AMD graphics) with DXVK they look fine (only tested on Radv) however the text that appears on the screen and pings on the minimap never fade away.

I'm wondering if this is the same big, but manifesting in different ways. What's the best way to track it/them and find if the issue is in the game itself, Wine, DXVK or Mesa

Comment

Somebody eager to make a mountain out of a mole hill. And Philip is now working on vkd3d, which is a Codeweavers project... DXVK has it's place and will remain the better option to run games for quite some time. But if for whatever reason Philip decided to move on, there is no telling how well maintained the project would be, so Codeweavers approach might be better for the long term. Let's wait and see.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
                    I think we'd be forgiven for our skepticism toward this new Vulkan effort within WineD3D, when Wine Staging 5.8 with WineD3D (Not DXVK) in 2020 still handles Direct3D 11 games like Assassins Creed Origins / Discovery Tour Ancient Egypt as such (mind you with about 1 to 3 FPS on a GTX 1070 / Core i7 6700U):

Only 1 to 3 fps with a GTX 1070

without forget big visual bugs

For things like that i dont believe in wined3d development

Comment

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post
                      Only 1 to 3 fps with a GTX 1070

Comment

Working...
                      X