Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zstd 1.4.5 Released With 5~10% Faster Decompression For x86_64, 15~50% For ARM64

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Zstd 1.4.5 Released With 5~10% Faster Decompression For x86_64, 15~50% For ARM64

    Phoronix: Zstd 1.4.5 Released With 5~10% Faster Decompression For x86_64, 15~50% For ARM64

    Facebook's compression experts responsible for Zstandard have today released Zstd 1.4.5 with more performance improvements...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...1.4.5-Released

  • #2
    yay, obviously instantly updating four our various, system-wide zstd use in #t2sde ;-) https://t2sde.org/packages/zstd

    Comment


    • #3
      Sorry if stupid but do these improvements also help zstd in-kernel, either through this release or a further pull?

      Comment


      • #4
        zstd is really excellent. The decompression performance was already superb. Zstd is the fastest decompressor among all the formats in its class of compression ratios, by a country mile. It is even faster to decompress than lz4, in most cases, which is astonishing. At the lower compression ratios, similar to lz4, it is about as fast as lz4 to compress. It seems like, overall, LZ77 derivatives win for most practical use cases.

        It's been an absolute pleasure using zstd at work. Big thanks to Yann Collet, Przemyslaw Skibinski, and Nick Terrell for the spectacular engineering.
        Last edited by microcode; 05-22-2020, 09:51 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by geearf View Post
          Do these improvements also help zstd in-kernel, either through this release or a further pull?
          Yes, absolutely; though as you suspect it involves them pulling the new release into the kernel, which they will likely do.
          Last edited by microcode; 05-22-2020, 09:44 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by microcode View Post

            Yes, absolutely; though as you suspect it involves them pulling the new release into the kernel, which they will likely do.
            Awesome!
            Thank you!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by geearf View Post
              Sorry if stupid but do these improvements also help zstd in-kernel, either through this release or a further pull?
              The version in the kernel is almost 3 years old. I hope they will update soon, see this open issue: https://github.com/facebook/zstd/issues/1638 But the issue is marked as long-term. So it may need some more years.
              Last edited by svenh; 05-22-2020, 12:38 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by microcode View Post
                zstd is really excellent.
                Could not agree more. I find myself having little use of anything else these days. At least when I am free to choose.
                Zstd has such a broad coverage of use-cases (within reasonable limits) that I just can't justify using much else.
                The parallelized versions rip trough stuff like a hot knife through butter.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Let's hope major browsers are going to support this. Better than Brotli.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by svenh View Post

                    The version in the kernel is almost 3 years old. I hope they will update soon, see this open issue: https://github.com/facebook/zstd/issues/1638 But the issue is marked as long-term. So it may need some more years.
                    That's sad. It's basically the only context where this improved decompression speed matters at all, i.e. when working with zstd compressed filesystems.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X