Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zstd Compression Under Review For OpenZFS

Phoronix: Zstd Compression Under Review For OpenZFS

The ZFS file-system has long offered transparent file-system compression via the likes of LZ4 and Gzip and while now Zstd compression is under review for OpenZFS and seeking testing from the community...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice! That would make me a actually use compression on my ZFS data. Also positive that the zstd compression level is adjustable.
    Last edited by peterdk; 17 May 2020, 06:53 AM.

Comment

zstd is it, until something better comes along ...

Comment

Wow, the PRs speak a horrible story (though one-sided?) about OpenZFS leadership... Is this just an isolated case or are there more examples?

This news post might just end up as yet-another "OpenZFS Will Soon Have Zstd Compression Support" (2018), which is sad to see .

Comment

Originally posted by johnp117 View Post
          Wow, the PRs speak a horrible story (though one-sided?) about OpenZFS leadership... Is this just an isolated case or are there more examples?
          I guess it's time to fork, again.

Comment

I think you meant in time for OpenZFS 2.0. Also, persistent L2ARC is also on the roadmap alongside Zstd in OpenZFS 2.0
            Last edited by CKing123; 17 May 2020, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              I guess it's time to fork, again.
              Or they need to do some tweaks to how they review and accept pull requests. As someone who has followed and tried this on and off over the years and knows it works just fine, at least the times I tried it, it makes me wonder what's up with the review process. The fact that I can use the term "over the years" in regards to a pull request....y'all can draw your own conclusions from that.

Comment

Originally posted by johnp117 View Post

This news post might just end up as yet-another "OpenZFS Will Soon Have Zstd Compression Support" (2018), which is sad to see .
                The difference between a tweet and a PR could hardly be any starker.

Comment

Originally posted by sindr View Post
                  The difference between a tweet and a PR could hardly be any starker.
                  The first PR was in 2018 as well. I'm a bit surprised though that the same guy that presented working ZSTD-compresion on FreeBSD's ZFS in 2017 seems to now have issues with the review / commit structure in 2020?
                  Last edited by johnp117; 17 May 2020, 01:23 PM. Reason: details / fix wrong verb

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                    Or they need to do some tweaks to how they review and accept pull requests
                    The only fix to bad politics is replacing the governing body whole, in an opensource project this happens by forking and moving all developers over to the new project.

OpenOffice Vs Libreoffice case for example, and OpenWrt did something kind of similar where some devs basically made a coup and formed LEDE for a while until the others left in OpenWrt team either left or decided to join again at different conditions, and things are now relatively better (there is still a lack of reviewers for contributions so most stuff will wait a while before anyone looks at it, but that's a manpower issue, not a dickhead issue)

Comment

Working...
                    X