Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenZFS 0.8.4 Released With Support Through Linux 5.6, Bug Fixes

Phoronix: OpenZFS 0.8.4 Released With Support Through Linux 5.6, Bug Fixes

OpenZFS / ZFS On Linux 0.8.4 is out as the latest update to this leading open-source ZFS file-system base for Linux and FreeBSD and coming together as well for macOS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

ICP: Improve AES-GCM performance #9749

Man, I wanted this so badly for Ubuntu 20.04. Encryption performs horribly without it. Is anyone using ZFS on Ubuntu with version different from the one in Ubuntu? How do you do it?

Comment

I suppose you'll have to build it yourself. My Google-Fu didn't find any up-to-date ZFS PPA.

See Here and Here for instructions. It's pretty straight forward.

EDIT: FWIW, I'm giving you the instructions that I'd be doing right now if it weren't that my Linux root HDDs running a ZoL mirror went out last week so I'm stuck with my OtherOS, Win10, until I get a new system.
      Last edited by skeevy420; 13 May 2020, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kobblestown View Post
        ICP: Improve AES-GCM performance #9749

Man, I wanted this so badly for Ubuntu 20.04. Encryption performs horribly without it. Is anyone using ZFS on Ubuntu with version different from the one in Ubuntu? How do you do it?
        The way Ubuntu's boot loader works with the packages, you may just want to wait. I've been using ZFS encryption for a while but mostly on $HOME w/ spinning disks so I haven't really noticed any performance problems.. Not that they might not be there..

I might recommend Gentoo as it'd be easier to lock the kernel version/zfs version to what you want.

There is also Luks (or Geli on freebsd) but I don't imaging they would be faster or much faster and you lose a lot of flexibility. Benchmarks?
        Last edited by k1e0x; 13 May 2020, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
          There is also Luks (or Geli on freebsd) but I don't imaging they would be faster or much faster and you lose a lot of flexibility. Benchmarks?
          GELI would simply be overhead on a different layer.

Could use ZFS version from ports (ports have one with native encryption).
          Be like a brushing teeth trough asshole tho, more reasonable to stick to familiar Ubuntu and try to work around issue.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            EDIT: FWIW, I'm giving you the instructions that I'd be doing right now if it weren't that my Linux root HDDs running a ZoL mirror went out last week so I'm stuck with my OtherOS, Win10, until I get a new system.
            Sorry what the fuck? both drives died?

Story time?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              Sorry what the fuck? both drives died?

Story time?
              Pretty much. They were a pair of 320GB Hitachi drives I found in a dumpster pulled PC in 2008. I upgraded from an Athlon X2 to a Core2Quad that day too (and a week later I learned the pencil overclock trick). Some dude at work threw his PC away saying it didn't work. It ended up being the main power supply clip not being seated very well. Frankenstein-ed that system with random parts until I bought my current system where only a 2TB HDD and an R7 260x were passed on.

But to get back "on topic", SMART started reporting errors at the beginning of this year on both of them and about five months later they went out. Doesn't matter what SATA cable or port I use, my system hangs when the BIOS bootloader goes to access either drive so I'm assuming they're dead. I'm down to a single 2TB HDD running Windows. That 2TB HDD is the same passed down drive bought back in my Athlon X2 days so I feel like I'm on borrowed time. For the past two months I've been getting random, unexplainable errors...I thought it was Manjaro being fucky but now I'm pretty sure it was my HDDs throwing errors since installs of Ubuntu, PopOS, Fedora, and SUSE were all acting fucky in the past month. The power of hindsight.

I'm taking it as a sign that I need to buy a new system so I've been pricing parts for a 3300X build....but since I'm already waiting until June to pick up a B550 motherboard I'm hoping that my stuff will hold out long enough for the desktop variant of the 4700 APUs will be released. Rumors are saying mid-July and Bridgman is saying nothing. The desktop version of the 4700 is the APU I've been waiting for since AMD has been doing APUs. It feels like I've been waiting 6 years for that APU so 6 more weeks ain't gonna be a thing. An 8c/16t APU where I can hand off 6c/12t and my 580 to a Windows VM so I no longer have to dual boot to play a handful of online games....fuck yes, sign me up. I could have done that for years on Intel, but AMD only, not until now.

Comment

Working...
              X