Linux 5.7-rc5 Released With More Changes But Not Worrying Torvalds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.7-rc5 Released With More Changes But Not Worrying Torvalds

Phoronix: Linux 5.7-rc5 Released With More Changes But Not Worrying Torvalds

Linus Torvalds did his usual Sunday release dance and shipped Linux 5.7-rc5 as the latest kernel test release...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...5.7-rc5-Kernel

I'm going to skip over Linux Kernel 5.6 and jump to Linux Kernel 5.7-RC5. Even in Linux Kernel 5.6.11 in Arch Linux, PulseAudio is not listing NVIDIA HDMI Audio. Linux 5.5 is working just fine compared to 5.6.
    https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=207223

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
      I'm going to skip over Linux Kernel 5.6 and jump to Linux Kernel 5.7-RC5. Even in Linux Kernel 5.6.11 in Arch Linux, PulseAudio is not listing NVIDIA HDMI Audio. Linux 5.5 is working just fine compared to 5.6.
      https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=207223
      Heh. See if someone doesn't make it worse.

Comment

At least three Linux kernels are being developed simultaneously: 5.6. 5.7 & 5.8. Announcements every few days for each of the three. Three Linux kernels were released by Ubuntu all on the same day.
        v5.6.8/ 2020-05-05 23:43
        v5.6.9/ 2020-05-05 23:09
        v5.6.10/ 2020-05-05 23:53

Comment

That's probably the first time i see him not being toxic lol

Comment

this looks like trap ?

Comment

Originally posted by StarterX4 View Post
              That's probably the first time i see him not being toxic lol
              You should definitely read more release-announcing emails then ;] Most of the time he's gentle as a lamb there.

Comment

I compiled Linux 5.7.0-rc5 successfully, but as I was attempting to install the DKMS nvidia module for the kernel, I get this:

less /var/lib/dkms/nvidia/440.82/build/make.log
                Code:
                /var/lib/dkms/nvidia/440.82/build/nvidia/nv-mmap.c: In function ‘nv_encode_caching’:
                /var/lib/dkms/nvidia/440.82/build/nvidia/nv-mmap.c:334:16: warning: this statement may fall through [-Wimplicit-fallthrough=]
                334 | if (NV_ALLOW_CACHING(memory_type))
                | ^
                /var/lib/dkms/nvidia/440.82/build/nvidia/nv-mmap.c:336:9: note: here
                336 | default:
                | ^~~~~~~
                CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/nvidia/440.82/build/nvidia/nv-usermap.o
                CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/nvidia/440.82/build/nvidia/nv-vm.o
                CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/nvidia/440.82/build/nvidia/nv-vtophys.o
                CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/nvidia/440.82/build/nvidia/os-interface.o
                CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/nvidia/440.82/build/nvidia/os-mlock.o
                /var/lib/dkms/nvidia/440.82/build/nvidia/nv-vm.c: In function ‘nv_set_memory_array_type’:
                /var/lib/dkms/nvidia/440.82/build/nvidia/nv-vm.c:66:13: error: implicit declaration of function ‘set_memory_array_uc’; did you mean ‘set_pages_array_uc’? [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
                66 | set_memory_array_uc(pages, num_pages);
                | ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                | set_pages_array_uc
                /var/lib/dkms/nvidia/440.82/build/nvidia/nv-vm.c:69:13: error: implicit declaration of function ‘set_memory_array_wb’; did you mean ‘set_pages_array_wb’? [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
                69 | set_memory_array_wb(pages, num_pages);
                | ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                | set_pages_array_wb
                So that's not going to work. I'm thinking about getting an AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT just to get away from NVIDIA GTX 960.
                Last edited by GraysonPeddie; 05-11-2020, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
                  I'm thinking about getting an AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT just to get away from NVIDIA GTX 960.
                  This is the correct answer.

Comment

Originally posted by gregzeng View Post
                    At least three Linux kernels are being developed simultaneously: 5.6. 5.7 & 5.8. ... Three Linux kernels were released by Ubuntu all on the same day ...
                    Important fixes from upstream get backported to older kernels, so that distros don't have to up-version any sooner than necessary.

Comment

Working...
                    X