Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeType 2.10.2 Released With Support For WOFF 2 Fonts

Phoronix: FreeType 2.10.2 Released With Support For WOFF 2 Fonts

The FreeType library that is used by many open-source projects for font rendering and other font operations, is out with their first release of the year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

isn't that .2 normally reserved for bugfix releases?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      I don't think the project is developed on branches, so there is no difference between 2.10.x and 2.11 development. Not sure what exactly triggers the exact version numbers though.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

I don't think the project is developed on branches, so there is no difference between 2.10.x and 2.11 development. Not sure what exactly triggers the exact version numbers though.
        https://semver.org/ doesn't care how the project is organized internally.

Comment

it's a fix for missing woff2 support bug

Comment

https://semver.org/ doesn't care how the project is organized internally.
            I know. But not all projects operate that way. I have to my dismay seen even binary API break in point releases (though not for freetype, they are still better than that, even if they don't use branches)

Comment

I know. But not all projects operate that way. I have to my dismay seen even binary API break in point releases (though not for freetype, they are still better than that, even if they don't use branches)
              Most likely they're not doing semver at all, but their numbering scheme resembles it.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                it's a fix for missing woff2 support bug
                I would buy that in a browser, but this being the primary and probably only font engine for Linux, I doubt anybody was already expecting WOFF2 to work. Though just being compressed TTF/OTF fonts it is rather trivial to support, WOFF1 by streaming though zlib and WOFF2 using brotli. Just a shame the fonts that come as WOFF2 also install the uncompressed copies as well.

Comment

I would buy that in a browser, but this being the primary and probably only font engine for Linux
                  right, so it's used by browser

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    right, so it's used by browser
                    No browsers have supported WOFF and WOFF2 much longer than freetype As I mentioned it is just compressed TrueType and OpenType fonts.

Comment

Working...
                    X