X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google is supporting a Mozilla project.

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post

I don't get why are some people obsessed with having Gentoo on desktops and laptops. Time spent with installation and configuration of Gentoo isn't worth the marginal time savings in daily workflow. Same applies for resources (CPU) usage. And, time, translated to money, could be rather spent on better HW.
      IMHO it has the best available package manager.
      i switched to arch though, but i miss portage

Comment

I don't get why are some people obsessed with having Gentoo on desktops and laptops. Time spent with installation and configuration of Gentoo isn't worth the marginal time savings in daily workflow. Same applies for resources (CPU) usage. And, time, translated to money, could be rather spent on better HW.
        Really, just get a new computer. Build times are not that big a deal anymore, maybe 4 hours for a complete build. It takes me longer than that just to get Ubuntu or Fedora configured into a (partially) acceptable state. I use Gentoo because it is by far the most flexible and configurable distro available. I have all the scripts I ever wrote still available to me. Building a new Gentoo Desktop is a matter of running a build script I wrote, and installing it is just a matter of copying the img file and booting it. It really is incredibly simple. The initial learning curve wasn't so simple, but the end result -is- incredibly simple.
        Last edited by duby229; 07 May 2020, 04:45 PM.

Comment

You're not a developer then.

Comment

Like the Gentoo based chrome os like distro. Might be what I am looking for for my least tech literate family members. Trying to pry Windows XP 32 bit from them. I would never consider moving a friend to Windows 10 but they are too illiterate for Ubuntu. Feeling like a chromebox might be the best bet for them but that is not 100% open source or even close.

Also really like the NetBSD project to get benchmarking on it. I really want to know if NetBSD is really the middle ground between FreeBSD's performance and OpenBSD's security.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Really, just get a new computer. Build times are not that big a deal anymore, maybe 4 hours for a complete build. It takes me longer than that just to get Ubuntu or Fedora configured into a (partially) acceptable state. I use Gentoo because it is by far the most flexible and configurable distro available. I have all the scripts I ever wrote still available to me. Building a new Gentoo Desktop is a matter of running a build script I wrote, and installing it is just a matter of copying the img file and booting it. It really is incredibly simple. The initial learning curve wasn't so simple, but the end result -is- incredibly simple.
              Ubuntu/Debian offers great experience out-of-the-box with great productivity. Anyway, nowadays the most of the work is handled by IDE-s (JetBrains IDE-s are worth the money). Yes, Ubuntu comes with a bit more "bloat", but few extra MB(s) consumed don't matter for modern computers having hundreds of GB(s) of disk space.

What are gains of greater configurability of Gentoo, except to squeeze that last bit of performance for scientific workstations? Also, the highest resource usage (of my workflow) comes from Chrome, Firefox, Java-based IDE(s), and running development servers/applications. So, even having perfectly fine-tuned OS will make only marginal gain in performance (and no gain in productivity).

I would sum up yours answer: "because, it's fun for me". There are no facts supporting any real-world benefits in having Gentoo individually installed on desktops.

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post

You're not a developer then.
                Well, yours assumption is false,.. Before I was developer, I thought, that getting Gentoo up and running is a cool thing, And, I did manage to do that completely on my own, when I was 16 years old. But, I was very wrong then,...

Being a developer made me realize, that there are much more important things, that gain value, and are worth spending time on,.. than getting Gentoo up and running, and maintaining it.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                  I wish somebody would work on KDE Connect to make a Bluetooth or Wifi direct backend because making the connection between laptop and phone through the router is very slow, glitchy and I bet it consumes phone's battery faster.
                  Works perfectly for me through my router.
                  Actually, I'm completely amazed at how immediate the effect of using stop/start for SMPlayer on my phone is applied. I don't see much difference between this or the keyboard space bar.

When I'm laying on the couch and I can't reach for the mouse or keyboard without moving (myself or the cat), I use KDE connect on my phone (through GS Connect extension) as a remote or as mouse+keyboard combo (for basic stuff). If it was faster, I wouldn't even have time to take advantage of it (due to reaction time or physical movements).
                  Last edited by Mez'; 08 May 2020, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
                    Works perfectly for me through my router.
                    Actually, I'm completely amazed at how immediate the effect of using stop/start for SMPlayer on my phone is applied. I don't see much difference between this or the keyboard space bar.

When I'm laying on the couch and I can't reach for the mouse or keyboard without moving (myself or the cat), I use KDE connect on my phone (through GS Connect extension) as a remote or as mouse+keyboard combo (for basic stuff). If it was faster, I wouldn't even have time to take advantage of it (due to reaction time or physical movements).
                    My router, which is actually not mine, it's a ISP provided one, very weak and makes the connection very laggy.

Comment

Working...
                    X