Thanks Oracle! New Patches Pending Can Reduce Linux Boot Times Up To ~49%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

The oracle suing bit comes in because (as you wrote yourself) your hypothetical situation does not work in real life, I'm seriously starting to suspect that you have some straw-man fetish.

And why do you think that Linus breaking other peoples copyright and the GPLv2 license of the Linux kernel (yes Linus does not own the license nor the copyright to the Linux kernel source code as I've explained to you before) would come without serious side effects (I even explained this to you before) for the entire Linux Kernel project? The mega sized Pandora's box such a move would open is not something that mainlining ZFS is worth.

But you have other problems with that wild conspiracy theory of yours, namely what Linus end goal by refusing ZFS would be. It cannot be to piss on Oracle since he gladly accepts their GPL:ed patches, it's hardly for money (if he would like to be a millionaire then there are lots of things that he could have done differently over the years) so what is the big conspiracy all about?
    The hypothetical scenario is exactly what Canonical are doing. You still think I'm arguing about mainlining ZFS which I'm not. See post #109.

Comment

• Originally posted by drjohnnyfever View Post

The hypothetical scenario is exactly what Canonical are doing. You still think I'm arguing about mainlining ZFS which I'm not. See post #109.
      No it isn't. They are not mainlining ZFS (they don't have merge access to Linus:s GIT tree). They are simply distributing both the Linux Kernel and the OpenZFS module on the same installer media.

"You still think I'm arguing about mainlining ZFS which I'm not", ah so that is why you keep on quoting Linus when he talks only about mainlining ZFS, or why your hypothetical scenario was all about mainlining and so on.

In fact what you are trying to do is to take the arguments that people have against the possibility of mainlining ZFS and pretend that they are arguments against what Ubuntu is doing so that you then can turn around and pretend that Linus should not accept GPL:ed patches from Oracle. This is straw-manning 101.

Comment

• Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

No it isn't. They are not mainlining ZFS (they don't have merge access to Linus:s GIT tree). They are simply distributing both the Linux Kernel and the OpenZFS module on the same installer media.

"You still think I'm arguing about mainlining ZFS which I'm not", ah so that is why you keep on quoting Linus when he talks only about mainlining ZFS, or why your hypothetical scenario was all about mainlining and so on.

In fact what you are trying to do is to take the arguments that people have against the possibility of mainlining ZFS and pretend that they are arguments against what Ubuntu is doing so that you then can turn around and pretend that Linus should not accept GPL:ed patches from Oracle. This is straw-manning 101.
        See post #109.

Comment

• Originally posted by drjohnnyfever View Post

See post #109.
          Of which post #112 is an adequate answer to (and so have quite a few of my post been), since you keep on conflating and confusing two different actions and straw-manning in Linus in your odd theories.

Comment

• So it seems the patches (v2) are landing in 5.8

Comment

Working...
            X