Thanks Oracle! New Patches Pending Can Reduce Linux Boot Times Up To ~49%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spooktra View Post
    Really? Boot times are improved by 49%? Who cares, my system boots in less than 20 seconds, I usually push the button and by the time I sit down the system is up an running. I guess Oracle has resolved all other issues with open source software and can now concentrate on the mundane that no one will notice.
    This is not for you and your computer. I would assume this work helps reduce the time it takes for vms to start, which is very important in cloud.

Comment

Really? Boot times are improved by 49%? Who cares, my system boots in less than 20 seconds, I usually push the button and by the time I sit down the system is up an running. I guess Oracle has resolved all other issues with open source software and can now concentrate on the mundane that no one will notice.
      It's the kernel boot! Not the whole system (from what I get). System boot starts after that, it's initiated by the kernel which can now do "that" ~twice as fast.

Comment

There's normal stupid, and then there's advanced stupid.

49% matters a lot when you need to quickly fire up VMs on demand to deal with load changes.
        49% matters a lot on large data-center nodes that take forever to boot up.
        49% matters on embedded devices that are expected to be instantly functional.

Perhaps Oracle can find a way for your brain to also boot up before you sit down.

Comment

Originally posted by paulpach View Post

This is not for you and your computer. I would assume this work helps reduce the time it takes for vms to start, which is very important in cloud.
          That and the stupid-fast cold-to-on times in-vehicle camera systems are required to have.

Comment

I'm waiting for all the loonies to come out and quit using Linux because they are worried Oracle is going to retroactively change the license on their GPL'd contributions and start suing them like they always say is going to happen to OpenZFS, Illumos etc with the CDDL'd code. Which of course is nonsense.

Comment

Especially linux machines with lots of (multipathed) disks takes a long time to boot. And typically DB-Servers have lots of disks.

Comment

I love the boot time improvements, never going to complain about cutting away some more at the boot times for hardware.

Though I might be a bit damaged by my job, as I can't help but think of this in relation to the Dell R720 EFI boot time, where just the hardware init takes six minutes to complete.

Comment

And from reading their blog post, better boot times might just be the beginning as they want to use their new multi-threading framework for other kernel functions as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Ananace View Post
                    I love the boot time improvements, never going to complain about cutting away some more at the boot times for hardware.

Though I might be a bit damaged by my job, as I can't help but think of this in relation to the Dell R720 EFI boot time, where just the hardware init takes six minutes to complete.
                    Heck, I managed to add an extra what seems to be 10-15 seconds on my boot time with Ubuntu 20.04. Frickin GRUB takes forever to access /boot on ZFS.

Mine is a Dell with a ~20 second BIOS init before drives are accessed and then an OS starts to boot...adding the ZFS/GRUB lag on top of that just sucks

Like other people here, this sure isn't for my system but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate what it brings.

Comment

Originally posted by Ananace View Post
                      My X470 Ryzen 1700 builds firmware always inits twice for whatever reason, thus the whole system takes longer to boot than my ten year old previous PC. Not that it really hurts as I boot it typically just once a day, but still..

Comment

Working...
                      X