Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU Shepherd 0.8 Released As An Alternative To Systemd

Phoronix: GNU Shepherd 0.8 Released As An Alternative To Systemd

GNU Shepherd, the official init system and service manager of the GNU operating system, is out with its newest update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I would have no idea how to write in Guile. I don't know anyone who ever coded in Guile or Lisp or any Lisp dialect.

Comment

Can it read systemd style service files?

I would suspect any competitor or future replacement will need that facility or even consider it the unifying API.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        I would have no idea how to write in Guile. I don't know anyone who ever coded in Guile or Lisp or any Lisp dialect.
        The Lisp community is much larger than you'd think. They are not very loud. They are too busy doing cool things.

Or have you not heard of Clojure/Emacs?

Comment

Anyone who doesn't like or want systemd is expected to jump onto sheperd, and in no way does the name imply that it's users are thus all sheep.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
            Anyone who doesn't like or want systemd is expected to jump onto sheperd, and in no way does the name imply that it's users are thus all sheep.
            Nope: the users are employing the shepherd. They are even one more layer above the sheep. Basically industrial farmer?

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
              Actually, there are tons of alternatives, and people use them every day. OpenRC, good old sysvinit, runit, procd, Supervisor, nosh, Upstart -- you name it. Shepherd is just another alternative that happens to be managed under the GNU development process and of course is GPLv3 compatible. Unless you need your init daemon to be licensed under GPLv3, all the other choices are open to you. You just have to run a distro that doesn't assume you're running systemd.

Comment

I dunno. It's a GNU component and I want to give "It's GNU/Linux!" people *less* reason to intentionally misinterpret my inclusiveness toward Alpine Linux, not more.
                Last edited by ssokolow; 21 April 2020, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post

The Lisp community is much larger than you'd think. They are not very loud. They are too busy doing cool things.

Or have you not heard of Clojure/Emacs?
                  Yeah, I have heard about them, I just don't use them.

Comment

Nice news.

Comment

Working...
                    X