Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The New Features Of The Linux 5.7 Kernel: Tiger Lake Graphics Stable, New exFAT, Zstd F2FS, Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post

I've personally had to switch my kernel to LTS twice this year, when ZFS broke. Happened on 5.5 and 5.6 I believe.
    Have the same problem here as well. Every few days a new kernel is released with more bug fixes, etc. I assume these improvements are carried onto the later kernel versions.
    Then new features, optimizations etc are added. Then even more bugs, with more problems. Several versions later, these bug fixes are included. Until the next Linux kernel, ad infinitum.

Comment

Originally posted by gregzeng View Post

Have the same problem here as well. Every few days a new kernel is released with more bug fixes, etc. I assume these improvements are carried onto the later kernel versions.
      Then new features, optimizations etc are added. Then even more bugs, with more problems. Several versions later, these bug fixes are included. Until the next Linux kernel, ad infinitum.
      Turns out Linus Torvalds being nice doesn't work. Who could have predicted this? /s

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        5.9 is looking to be a nice LTS kernel. It can't get here fast enough.

I'm a bit weird in that I treat LTS releases like most people treat stable point releases and that I treat stable point releases like they're beta releases and only use stable point releases if I necessarily have to; like with the current 5.6 series so I can test out the new BTRFS checksum methods from 5.5. I'm mainly interested in xxhash vs the default/old crc32c since I don't have a need for the more hardcore methods of sha256 & blake2.

Started designing a system from the ground up when I started realizing that there are so many BTRFS setting and mount setting combinations that I actually need to run benchmarks versus going with what makes sense. Stuff like lazytime vs relatime, xxhash vs crc32c, compress and compress-force to test BTRFS vs kernel compressor algorithms, frickin 6-15 compression levels depending on the compressor used, double the aforementioned compression levels due to the aforementioned compress and compress-force settings, space cache v1 & v2....bloody hell....
        Have you found anything good about xxhash? Looking at btrfs' wiki it seems 44% slower than CRC32 so not sure if it's useful for a simple desktop case.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

Have you found anything good about xxhash? Looking at btrfs' wiki it seems 44% slower than CRC32 so not sure if it's useful for a simple desktop case.
          Well.....my testing disks died and I haven't replaced them yet, so no I haven't.

Comment

Well.....my testing disks died and I haven't replaced them yet, so no I haven't.
            Oh I'm sorry about that.

Comment

Oh I'm sorry about that.
              I got 14 years use out of some HDDs I found in a PC in a garbage can (seriously)....don't feel too sorry about it

Comment

I got 14 years use out of some HDDs I found in a PC in a garbage can (seriously)....don't feel too sorry about it
                Oh yeah, well as long as you didn't lose any data of course.

Comment

Oh yeah, well as long as you didn't lose any data of course.
                  None at all. I keep my operating systems and pertinent data on separate drives

Comment

None at all. I keep my operating systems and pertinent data on separate drives
                    Good!
                    I lost my system drive once, it was quite painful :/

Comment

5700XTs random blackscreens and crashes got fixed in 5.6, that´s something you don´t want to miss, if you have a 5700XT

Comment

Working...
                      X