X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

deep down we all know that real name is systemd+linux kernel

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

If you haven't noticed any changes then you probably won't. He stepped down from the FSF 7 months ago.
      Indeed. Sorry, I meant the GNU project.

Comment

Insisting people say "musl/Linux" would be even more annoying than insisting people say ”GNU/Linux".
        Muslim/Linux.

Comment

Insisting people say "musl/Linux" would be even more annoying than insisting people say ”GNU/Linux".
          Note this line from my previous comment:

Don't get me started on all the different reasons that calling for "GNU/Linux" as a name is wasted effort and doomed to fail.
          It applies almost equally well to "musl/Linux" aside from the technical point that "glibc/Linux" is ever so slightly (but, in practice, imperceptibly) more justifiable.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
            That little girl's fist is in a horrible location. There needs to be at least one skeevy person per design team to point stuff like that out.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

It applies almost equally well to "musl/Linux" aside from the technical point that "glibc/Linux" is ever so slightly (but, in practice, imperceptibly) more justifiable.
              You are also wrong about the "doomed to fail" comment. It's 28 years after the "what do we call this OS" debate started with the 1992 release of Yggdrasil Linux/GNU/X, and here you are still saying GNU/Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
                And you are just lucky Richard Stallman's preferred term never caught on: "LiGNUx"

Comment

And you are just lucky Richard Stallman's preferred term never caught on: "LiGNUx"
                  Perfectly fine as a distro name though.

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
                    its pure stupid for the compilers with same programming language Standard to performed different compilation process in same source code lead to different binary or executable
                    oh sweet summer child, let me introduce you to our deranged family - Uncle Undefined Dehaviour,his other half Aunt Optimisation and their child Spectre. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
                      its pure stupid for the compilers with same programming language Standard to performed different compilation process in same source code lead to different binary or executable
                      Different compilers have different priorities. The strongest example of this is tinycc the Tiny C Compiler, which strives to be the fastest and smallest C compiler. It does 0 optimizations on the source code, and emits native machine code directly (no assembly, inline or otherwise), and supports only x86/64 and arm. Compared to gcc or clang, it produces larger, slower output files, so why bother, right? Well, the whole compiler is 267KB, and can compile even a fairly large project quickly, and with less memory overhead. For this reason it's the "system compiler" for my rooted kindle paperwhite, where speed of the output program is of comparatively little value.

Point is it isn't just a waste of (duplicated) effort to have multiple implementations of a good idea.

Comment

Working...
                      X