FAT File-System Driver For Linux Sees Patch To Run Multiple Times Faster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAT File-System Driver For Linux Sees Patch To Run Multiple Times Faster

Phoronix: FAT File-System Driver For Linux Sees Patch To Run Multiple Times Faster

At the same time of Linux receiving a new exFAT driver, the Linux kernel is still seeing improvements to its classic FAT file-system code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It'd be nice if the filesystem live USB media that many distro provide for trying a live environment and installer, could get some improvements, or maybe that performance is just a hardware one with USB sticks?

Comment

First they update floppy disk drivers, then FAT drivers. Someone's up to running stuff from a floppy disk.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoronix
        For those still relying upon FAT16/FAT32 file-systems you should really think about upgrading
        If you could tell me how to use a different filesystem for my EFI partition then I would do so happily...

Comment

For those still relying upon FAT16/FAT32 file-systems you should really think about upgrading especially with Linux having a good exFAT driver now
          Looking at the Wikipedia "Comparison of file systems" article, it looks like exFAT is actually inferior to FAT32 for smaller filesystems because, aside from support for larger files and filesystems and bringing TRIM support to FAT on Windows (Linux already has it for FAT32 according to the chart), it brings nothing and lacks GNU Parted's support for offline grow/shrink.

Comment

I just want Microsoft to open source NTFS. ExFAT is OK, no doubt about it, but millions of devices out there (e.g. Smart TVs or TV boxes) support only FAT32 and NTFS.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
              I just want Microsoft to open source NTFS. ExFAT is OK, no doubt about it, but millions of devices out there (e.g. Smart TVs or TV boxes) support only FAT32 and NTFS.
              They could make step ahead and opensource ReFS.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                First they update floppy disk drivers, then FAT drivers. Someone's up to running stuff from a floppy disk.
                Now if only the kernel was small enough to fit on a 1,44 MB floppy.

Comment

Originally posted by Slithery View Post
                  If you could tell me how to use a different filesystem for my EFI partition then I would do so happily...
                  Well you can get rid of the EFI partition and use legacy boot (CSM). As long as your boot SSD is not greater than 2 TB. Personally I still stick to it as it's simpler (one primary partition, one extended one)

Comment

It's surprising there's still performance to be extracted from the FAT driver on Linux, since it's so barebones a filesystem that you think nobody can get it wrong.

Originally posted by George99 View Post

Well you can get rid of the EFI partition and use legacy boot (CSM). As long as your boot SSD is not greater than 2 TB. Personally I still stick to it as it's simpler (one primary partition, one extended one)
                    You can still boot from GPT disks on CSM. Create a 1MB "BIOS boot partition" before the 2TB barrier and install GRUB as usual. This isn't Windows.

Comment

Working...
                    X