No announcement yet.

Systemd-OOMD Continues Coming Together For Better Linux Out-Of-Memory Handling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Systemd-OOMD Continues Coming Together For Better Linux Out-Of-Memory Handling

Phoronix: Systemd-OOMD Continues Coming Together For Better Linux Out-Of-Memory Handling

Beyond the new systemd-homed functionality, another improvement to look forward to in the systemd space this calendar year is systemd-oomd materializing as its new out-of-memory daemon...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    Finally!
    Upgrade from 500mb of RAM and maybe you won't run out of memory so often.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Have you tried using a computer with 4GB? When I bought my previous laptop (it was about 10 years ago) it was like way too much. After 7 years of using it I had to upgrade it to 8GB, because 4 was easily filled with a web browser alone. Before the upgrade I had to for example close the browser, to open a big PDF. I could easily run into OOM back then.

Comment

Originally posted by etam View Post

Have you tried using a computer with 4GB? When I bought my previous laptop (it was about 10 years ago) it was like way too much. After 7 years of using it I had to upgrade it to 8GB, because 4 was easily filled with a web browser alone. Before the upgrade I had to for example close the browser, to open a big PDF. I could easily run into OOM back then.
        I don't know, I've been on 16GB for a few years, I (thankfully) do not come close to running out of memory. And I'm never going back.

Comment

I got 16gb, and still run into oom sometimes. If you don't use your ram you simply wasted money. Typically it's some long running process (like a Linux rootfs build) that will go over the limit, when used with other memory hogs.
          This would not be a problem if Linux could correctly identify the process that won't be a big issue.
          As it is now, it will just hang the machine indefinitely

Comment

I don't know, I've been on 16GB for a few years, I (thankfully) do not come close to running out of memory. And I'm never going back.
            The only time I ran out of memory with 16GB was due to a (yet unresolved) memory leak in Chromium.
            Still, if people are frequently bugged by this, they should spec their systems accordingly. Software won't fix the problem.

Comment

What a moronic reply. Stop doing this, people.

I'm glad the long standing issue of running out of memory will finally be somewhat fixed, it's about time. I've ran out of memory daily on 4GB laptops, and my 16GB desktops from 4 years ago a few times. It always needed to be hard shutdown when it happened.

Comment

Excessive memory use can leave your systemDoomd.
                it's good to see any work being done here, baffling that some people don't seem to understand running out of memory is a thing, and a user does not generally want everything to come to a screeching halt because of it. I've generally thought that killing the most recently launched process would be the most practical approach for desktops, as it's the one least likely to have lots of critical changes or happenings.
                This cgroup approach seems over-engineered for desktop use, though If the end goal is one tunable to a variety of workloads, then I suppose it's for the best, though a combination of facebook's oomd and thrash-protect have served me well.
                Last edited by Snaipersky; 10 April 2020, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post

As it is now, it will just hang the machine indefinitely
                  magic SysRq key

Comment

I'm not a huge "let's put all into systemd" fan but this is needed.

Linux OOM was always lacking, a proper system to handle it is needed. Most people on desktops will never need this but servers and especially certain use cases will benefit tremendously from a proper OOM handler.

Comment

Working...
                    X