Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X-Plane 11 Flight Simulator With Vulkan Performing Very Well On Linux - NVIDIA/AMD OpenGL vs. Vulkan Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remdul
    replied
    Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
    The only time I used an Nvidia GPU under Linux was on some Intel+Nvidia laptop (with prop driver). [...]
    Do keep in mind that nVidia + Intel (Optimus) never really worked properly on Windows either. At least it works today on Linux (on Mint even out of the box). On Windows, with exception of a few older games and my own OpenGL applications, none of the software were able to detect the nVidia GPU (i.e. Autodesk 3DSMAX). At least 3DSMAX *did* use the nVidia GPU on Linux with Wine, with Bumblebee driver tweaks, but that came to late for me; I ended up never using that laptop for Linux 3D work. Optimus was crap on every platform, and was a disaster from the start.

I've found nVidia proprietary driver completely problem free on Linux (Mint Cinnamon), just never, ever pair it in hardware with an Intel GPU, which is a recipe for utter disaster.
    Last edited by Remdul; 11 April 2020, 10:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• intelfx
    replied
    Originally posted by AdamOne View Post
    There are always issues with Linux, I dont see how one manageable one discards nvidia as a vendor.
    "There are no absolutely healthy people, so let's cut off your leg and your arm — it's just one more illness, right?"

Leave a comment:

• AdamOne
    replied
    Originally posted by intelfx View Post

It doesn't matter how hard is it to troubleshoot the issue. What matters is that there is an issue.
    There are always issues with Linux, I dont see how one manageable one discards nvidia as a vendor.
    Last edited by AdamOne; 10 April 2020, 10:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Davidovitch
    replied
    I am trying to add support for reading the individual frame times to the X-Plane test profile, but figuring out what type of formatting PTS understand is not that straightforward since I need to reverse engineer the supported formatting options from the PTS source code here: pts-core/objects/pts_test_result_parser.php#L226. Some documentation or even code comments could really be useful for contributors...

Leave a comment:

• intelfx
    replied
    so, you dont know how to troubleshoot the kernel/gpu when x server fails after an update?
    It doesn't matter how hard is it to troubleshoot the issue. What matters is that there is an issue.

Leave a comment:

• ALRBP
    replied

so, you dont know how to troubleshoot the kernel/gpu when x server fails after an update?
    idk what distro youre using but on arch linux its usually incompatible kernel/driver versions and each is fixed straightforwardly albeit a little frustratingly and in the beginning elusively. No x server on boot has not been sufficient reason for me to give up on a whole vendor, of which there only is two to speak of.
    "incompatible kernel/driver"
    Yes, most of the time, the solution was to downgrade until a compatible driver is released, but it is not that simple. As I said, this was on an Intel+Nvidia laptop. On such systems, the Nvidia GPU is useless without the Optimus technology, which is poorly supported on Linux (for a long time, it has simply been unsupported, and the Nvidia GPU was just useless, no matter was driver you used). After having to battle with Optimus, I decided to give up, since the Intel iGPU was performing good enough, without all the Nvidia driver burden.

"No x server on boot has not been sufficient reason for me to give up on a whole vendor"
    For me, it was not sufficient back in the fglrx time, since both ATI/AMD and Nvidia had the same problem, but now that AMD is free from this (and Intel's iGPU are enough for everything except highly demanding games), it is a sufficient reason to just reject Nvidia and use AMD/Intel (Intel only if you do not need the power of a real GPU) instead. Having regular X11 (certainly worse with Wayland) issues that makes your system unusable until fixed is not a minor issue on a production desktop system. The slightly worse performance of AMD (cards are also cheaper) is a very minor issue in comparison.

Leave a comment:

• AdamOne
    replied
    Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
    "I have never had a problem with proprietary nvidia and it has always worked" "definitely the most practical, in that I have never had to intervene manually, it just works"

The only time I used an Nvidia GPU under Linux was on some Intel+Nvidia laptop (with prop driver). I had X11 failure after 1 kernel update out of 2 (even worse than ATI/AMD's old fglrx driver, which was awful compared to AMDGPU). After one of those updates, I simply didn't manage to get it working again, even downgrading my kernel. I ended up uninstalling all nvidia-related things, the Intel iGPU worked great alone, with enough power even for gaming and I never had any issue with it. My conclusion is that the only reasonable use-cases for an Nvidia GPU in a Linux computer are headless CUDA computation and PCI pass-through to a Windows VM.
    idk what distro youre using but on arch linux its usually incompatible kernel/driver versions and each is fixed straightforwardly albeit a little frustratingly and in the beginning elusively. No x server on boot has not been sufficient reason for me to give up on a whole vendor, of which there only is two to speak of.

Leave a comment:

• ALRBP
    replied
    The first graph with 1080p really shows how overrated AMD GPU's are on older API's as opengl.

I dont get the whole "open source hype" when a six year old nvidia card, the 980, blows every single AMD card out of the water.

The superiority of open source GPU drivers is false, I have never had a problem with proprietary nvidia and it has always worked.
    Nvidia is not perfect as a supplier, but definitely the most practical, in that I have never had to intervene manually, it just works. Idk if I can say that about AMDGPU
    "I have never had a problem with proprietary nvidia and it has always worked" "definitely the most practical, in that I have never had to intervene manually, it just works"

The only time I used an Nvidia GPU under Linux was on some Intel+Nvidia laptop (with prop driver). I had X11 failure after 1 kernel update out of 2 (even worse than ATI/AMD's old fglrx driver, which was awful compared to AMDGPU). After one of those updates, I simply didn't manage to get it working again, even downgrading my kernel. I ended up uninstalling all nvidia-related things, the Intel iGPU worked great alone, with enough power even for gaming and I never had any issue with it. My conclusion is that the only reasonable use-cases for an Nvidia GPU in a Linux computer are headless CUDA computation and PCI pass-through to a Windows VM.

Leave a comment:

• AdamOne
    replied
    The first graph with 1080p really shows how overrated AMD GPU's are on older API's as opengl.

I dont get the whole "open source hype" when a six year old nvidia card, the 980, blows every single AMD card out of the water.

The superiority of open source GPU drivers is false, I have never had a problem with proprietary nvidia and it has always worked.
    Nvidia is not perfect as a supplier, but definitely the most practical, in that I have never had to intervene manually, it just works. Idk if I can say that about AMDGPU
    Last edited by AdamOne; 09 April 2020, 12:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• M@GOid
    replied
    Originally posted by mlau View Post
    X-Plane is primarily CPU bound, always has been. The hope is that with the vulkan renderer now working, draw call preparation can be made multi-threaded in the future. At the moment you need to test on a CPU that can boost 1-2 cores to 5GHz to get max perf out of a 2080Ti for example, and even then nvidias gpu utilization shows something like 40%!
    X-Plane is one of those simulators that is around for a long time and unfortunately carries a old engine in desperately need of a upgrade.

Since is a niche market, those are small teams unable to invest big money like, say, a Crytek, that with EA money miraculously transformed the CryEngine 2 (from Crysis) in a multi-threaded monster for the Crysis 2 and 3 releases.

Of course not every softhouse like to admit their proprietary code is obsolete. I remember Matt Wagner from Eagle Dynamics (DCS, Flanker-series), after years of gamers begging for a multi-threaded engine, saying that this would not bring performance enhancements... Only to years later finally bend over to the evidences and making the investment on a improved engine, that still doesn't look optimized enough for the new CPUs.

Other example is the SCS's Truck Simulators, with a engine so ancient that only last year begin transitioning to DirectX... 11! It is the same old story, small team, small market share, small investments.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X