The New Microsoft exFAT File-System Driver Has Landed In Linux 5.7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New Microsoft exFAT File-System Driver Has Landed In Linux 5.7

Phoronix: The New Microsoft exFAT File-System Driver Has Landed In Linux 5.7

As we have been expecting the new Samsung-developed file-system driver for Microsoft's exFAT has successfully landed into the Linux 5.7 kernel to replace the existing exFAT driver added in Linux 5.4 last year after Microsoft published the file-system specifications and gave their blessing to have the support mainlined in the Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Pretty cool. I won't need to use FUSE to mount spec compliant SDXC cards soon, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
      Pretty cool. I won't need to use FUSE to mount spec compliant SDXC cards soon, I guess.
      We didn't need that for a while. Kernels 5.4-5.6 have the previous exFAT implementation and before that there was a DKMS driver available.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

We didn't need that for a while. Kernels 5.4-5.6 have the previous exFAT implementation and before that there was a DKMS driver available.
        It's still in staging so it's disabled on the default kernel config.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

It's still in staging so it's disabled on the default kernel config.
          Ubuntu 20.04 has it enabled though.

Comment

we need ex4 support in windows

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

Ubuntu 20.04 has it enabled though.
              and Ubuntu loves enabling broken or buggy things on the kernel, just ask those bricked laptops.

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
                Give them another year or three for that. Microsoft is still coming out of the flintstones era with their OS, mind you it took them until Win10 to officially offer a Virtual Desktop functionality, and to this day they still don't have a dual pane/tabbed file explorer or a simple "Always on top" toggle for running programs. The list goes on

Comment

I'm afraid rwx bits are too human-friendly so it doesn't fit MS requirements
                  (Just check the long list of NTFS permissions.)

Comment

I wish it will come true.
                    Is there a legal issue on that?

Comment

Working...
                    X