Btrfs File-System Updates Land In Linux 5.7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
    Following the capitalization rules is really advisable when writing, it also has its advantages, of course.
    If that's one sentence, you should use a semicolon. It might be better to just reword it as a single sentence that makes more sense though.

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
    P.S. I'm open to corrections in my use of English, of course :-)
    Only because you asked.

Comment

A semicolon has been used . Thanks, NateHubbard.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        For me it's game mods. I'll extract one mod and it'll have Folder A, the next mod has Folder a, the next one has folder A, and a fourth one has folder a. On Windows, those are all the same directory where as on Linux it's four directories. When you go to mod Windows games on Linux, it gets old fast dealing with that when it's a game like Skyrim or Morrowind and you have hundreds of mods with hundreds of folders and file names each.
        so what's stopping game from unconditionally lower casing all names, since they can't have different case on windows anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post
          Why I should treat "Letter.txt" and "letter.TXT" as totally different files?
          because a.c is a c source, but a.C is a c++ source

Comment

because "Letter.txt" and "letter.TXT" are different Just look:

Code:
            namelist = ['Letter.txt', 'letter.TXT']

for name in namelist:
                sumOfName = 0
                for i in range(len(name)):
                    sumOfName += ord(name[i])
                print(name, sumOfName)
            P.S. of course you should not. Just do whatever makes you happy

Comment

Not to say that Windows games aren't important, but there seem to be even more compelling reasons to support case insensitivity (casefold to be precise): gotta love oiaohm for the wonderful explanations: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...e2#post1097790

Comment

As it was already written in other place:

"Case" is not a universal language construct. It's meaningless to do a case-insensitive compare of Arabic, for example.

Wanting magical "do what I want, not what I say" behavior in a filesystem is already dangerous enough, having that behavior hinge on the character set is even worse.

Comment

As Panzi (Panzenböck) wrote:

In Unicode you can write letters like ö in 2 different ways: as NFD (2 codepoints) or NFC (1 codepoint). Are they the same file name? For crappy (=basically all) American and UK systems I have to write my last name as Panzenboeck instead of Panzenböck. Is that the same file name?
                  Although in the case of playing Windows games, miming Windows behavior helps there.

Comment

Case insensivity is easy, as long as you restrict yourself to ASCII. When using unicode, that is a whole different thing. Even for not totally different languages like German, there are letters which require complicated mapping. E.g. straße and STRAẞE. Actually, the big variant of "ß" is not often used (people usally don't shout) and often it is even spelled as STRASSE. So you would need to support ß ~ SS = ẞ.

So in essence, I'm _personally_ not sure if it should be really in kernel at all.

Comment

To the people suggesting other options, it's because I think using "chattr +F /my_dir" is easier than the various image and mount strategies. It's a handy tool to have in the bag and one you might not realize you like or miss until it isn't there

Comment

Working...
                      X