Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.6 Ships With Broken Intel WiFi Driver After Network Security Fixes Go Awry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im reporting WiFi problems since kernel 5.4. Something os wrong with Intel WiFi drivers for some time

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

No, if they end with unbootable windoze, but you're brainless.
      You can't assume Average Joe knows how to use the terminal for compiling and git.
      They just don't.

Just to sum up Braindie:

windows fanboy and liar (yeah, windoze 'doesn't spy!)

https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/software/desktop-linux/1165668-chrome-80-against-firefox-74-75-performance-on-linux?p=1165721#post1165721

except it does!

some kind of mental illness perhaps?
      Windows 10 Enterprise does have an option to fully disable telemetry. Perhaps he forgot that the other editions of Windows do spy.

Are you kidding me?
      Pango HAS been breaking things in later versions.
      PuTTY is an example. The line height has changed and I hate it!

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
        Im reporting WiFi problems since kernel 5.4. Something os wrong with Intel WiFi drivers for some time
        Not only since 5.4..
        Years in the past the problems were already there..
        And it seems that Intel releasing a bunch of patch's, almost on kernel release schedule.. seems more dangerous,
        But ok, fix's will come in 5.6.1..

My Opinion is that Linus was right to release the kernel yesterday.. nobody knows how the ongoing crisis will become in the future..so postponing this release was more dangerous than releasing it now.

Intel really needs to start doing QA on their development, not only in some devices, but in all supported devices..
        Last edited by tuxd3v; 30 March 2020, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          In the past I was brave enough to migrate to point zero kernel releases as soon they got released. For the past three years however, I've only upgraded to point four or five releases, so that I don't have to deal with the most critical regressions as kernel QA/QC is still horrible. Please don't tell me to use "stable" distros - it's idiocy. It just means other people have tested the kernel for a considerable amount of time to resolve all the corner cases and, more often than not, it's people like me who find regressions, identify the bad commit(s) and then test the fix which then finds itself in "stable" kernels. It's not like Ubuntu or RHEL have extra special people who test the kernel on all possible hardware - no, they do not do that. They are pure software companies.
          If you don't need the newest features, don't step off of anything that isn't running LTS. Anything else is all your choosing. If they don't get millions of people using the code, you won't find some of these bugs. It's the nature of everything. Get over it.

Intel should have their shit together, though. But that's a different story.

Comment

Thank you, Mr. Larabel! This is *exactly* the kind of coverage that makes Phoronix my daily stop, right after Manjaro announcements forum. Your comprehensive and authoritative articles have saved me so many headaches in a rolling distro.

Comment

It's funny Mr Volta quotes isolated Windows issues (looks like it's just five for the past five years - and most of them are related to ... 3d party drivers),
              Why do you think in the cited issues 3rd party drivers just suddenly stop working fine after a Windows update?

I dunno, Aliens?

when Open Source bugzillas are rife with hundreds if not thousands of bug reports which prevent users from using their HW properly.
              Who is writing the driver for Linux? the hardware manufacturer in most cases.
              But for Windows you blame the hardware manufacturers, while for Linux you blame Linux.
              The manufacturers need to get their shit together.

Wow, what a great OS, Mr. Volta. Instead of downloading a newer version of drivers from a vendor in Windows, you have to learn: shell, git, patch, make, grub2 and then pray you've done everything correctly and haven't accidentally erased your entire filesystem in the process.
              Lol? I "download newer version of drivers from a vendor" by using the package manager to update the package, and that's exactly the same as downloading the driver for windows. It's ready exactly when the vendor makes it ready.

So, again, how many issues have you found and help resolve in the Linux kernel so far?
              We thank you for your service, but please understand that it was 100% voluntary and does not grant any additional status.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                Windows 10 Enterprise does have an option to fully disable telemetry. Perhaps he forgot that the other editions of Windows do spy.
                He forgot to mention that he is a dirty pirate too, Enterprise is volume license only.

Comment

Originally posted by abott View Post

If you don't need the newest features, don't step off of anything that isn't running LTS. Anything else is all your choosing. If they don't get millions of people using the code, you won't find some of these bugs. It's the nature of everything. Get over it.

Intel should have their shit together, though. But that's a different story.
                  I'm so effing tired of hearing this crap over and over again - "use LTS if you wanna play safe". This doesn't work! It's people like me who use mainline who make it possible for LTS distros to have semi-decent semi-stable kernels in the first place. People like me who find critical bugs, report them, bisect them and help fix them. Speaking of this particular bug: this laptop was sold in dozens of thousands of units - not a single user has reported the bug. It says a lot how popular Linux really is, and what kind of quality you can expect from it. It's quite appalling really. Meanwhile Open Source fan atics keep on proclaiming that Linux is a decent, stable, bug free OS with a lot of software. A lie, on top of a lie, on top of a lie. The only advantage of Linux on the desktop is that it's ostensibly free - only you need to regularly spend long hours fixing its issues and you can buy a W8/10 license from Ebay for $10. And just before you call me a Microsoft shill, I've filed more bug reports than any random 100 Phoronix readers combined and I've been using Linux exclusively since the late 90s.

Comment

FYI if you want to try out 5.6, you can use 5.6-rc7. A while back i took a risk and ran 5.6-rc1, no issues (surprising right?). Then I jumped to RC3 and then RC7. I've been surprisingly happy with the stability and performance. I just tried to upgrade to 5.6 final and my iwlwifi broke, lol, couldn't connect to networks but I could see them.
                    So I rolled back to RC7 and am happy once again. I'll wait for 5.6.1, I'm good w/ RC7 for now.

Comment

It's people like me who use mainline who make it possible for LTS distros to have semi-decent semi-stable kernels in the first place.
                      And without you others who find it fun will still do it. So far it has worked well enough, and people on LTS or even just frozen release get a decent experience.

And distros with paid backing will still have their own QA for the hardware they care about (server, mostly), on their own kernel.
                      this laptop was sold in dozens of thousands of units - not a single user has reported the bug. It says a lot how popular Linux really is
                      less than 1% marketshare baby. Breaking news for everyone.

The only advantage of Linux on the desktop is that it's ostensibly free - only you need to regularly spend long hours fixing its issues
                      true only for the bleeding edge, while Windows is also ostensibly "free" (if you pirate it) and you also need to regularly spend long hours fixing the bullshit that happens when it updates.

and you can buy a W8/10 license from Ebay for $10.
                      That's illegal resale of MSDN developer licenses, or volume licenses. Why pay for a stolen license when you can steal the whole Windows for free.

And just before you call me a Microsoft shill, I've filed more bug reports than any random 100 Phoronix readers combined and I've been using Linux exclusively since the late 90s.
                      Does not make you any less of a troll.

Really, if you don't like fixing Linux just stop and only use pirated Windows Enterprise, none gives a shit either way.

LTS kernels will still exist without your contributions and you will live a more fulfilling and happy life far from this madness.

Comment

Working...
                      X