Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There Is Finally Work To Allow Sysctl Parameters To Be Set From The Linux Kernel Command

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There Is Finally Work To Allow Sysctl Parameters To Be Set From The Linux Kernel Command

Phoronix: There Is Finally Work To Allow Sysctl Parameters To Be Set From The Linux Kernel Command

File this under the "I can't believe it took this long" or "why wasn't this done before" section... Thanks to SUSE, there are finally patches pending to allow easily setting sysctl parameters from the kernel command line using a generic infrastructure...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I file this under the "why would I ever need that" section, I can already do that either temporarily or permanently, easily.
    Last edited by anarki2; 26 March 2020, 03:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
      I file this under the "why would I ever need that" section, I can already do that either temporarily or permanently, easily.
      There is nothing wrong with having more options.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
        Or you know, just not for the end-user. It may be an easier set-up for others or not, either way it will be valuated.

Comment

I'm surprised this wasn't a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

actually there is.

More options => more code => more clutter => more problems!

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

Well, it's dead easy to do in an initramfs, you would not see any difference. And the mere existence of an initramfs is to get code like that out of the kernel.

Having this in the initramfs has other advantages, like bering able to load the necessary modules first so that your sysctl paths actually exist and the setting via cmdline works.
              So the in-kernel mechanism can only work for builtin modules, for the rest you would need an initramfs (with the additional modules to load). Sounds like rather useless to me.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

actually there is.

More options => more code => more clutter => more problems!
                This seems to be the major break for innovation.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

This seems to be the major break for innovation.
                  you have to find a balance between the cost of maintaining a feature and the advantages it provides.

not sure about the sysctl at boot thing, tough

Comment

When can I find a list of available sysctl commands for kernel?

Comment

Working...
                    X