Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zstd Compressed Linux Kernel Images Proposed Once More

Phoronix: Zstd Compressed Linux Kernel Images Proposed Once More

Going back to at least late 2017 have been proposals for Zstd-compressing the Linux kernel images for the Facebook-developed Zstandard compression algorithm. In 2020 perhaps we will finally see the support mainlined...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

While I'll admit that it's probably the sort of data I'm compressing... I've not noticed Zst being "10x" faster to decompress than xz or similar. Maybe 2-3x...

Comment

Zstd is awesome for transparent compression on btrfs. It's far more compressed than lzo, but has equal or greater decompression rates.

Comment

But isn't LZ4 still slightly faster than ZSTD at decompression?

Comment

And the compression times during updates take less time as well?
          Hi

Comment

As more distros change their compression format to ZSTD, it is about time these patches get merged as the algorithm has proven itself and its usefulness in the field. They can kick out less efficient algorithms if they don't want to support too many. Albeit I don't know if that would be too much of a maintanance burden anyway.

Comment

Yes please!

Comment

Originally posted by Chugworth View Post
                An lz4 compressed kernel is about twice as large as xz or zstd, so the extra time to load it from disk would cancel out any improvement in decompression time.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugworth View Post
                  ZSTD is LZ4 with some extra stuff to achieve higher compression ratios.

Comment

Originally posted by archsway View Post
                    An lz4 compressed kernel is about twice as large as xz or zstd, so the extra time to load it from disk would cancel out any improvement in decompression time.
                    lz4hc has good compression ratio (~zstd) with best decompression speed (memcpy/2).

Comment

Working...
                    X