Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dr_atomic
    replied
    I'm a sysadmin. I do not like systemd, but the worst part is the forcefeeding. Why, for example Debian build their dependencies
    so even openssh-server has to have systemd-sysv as a dependency? --no-install-recommends helps a little, but... each desktop
    environment I checked pulls systemd as a dependency. Only i3 didn't do this in Debian. One has almost no choise when it comes
    to not using systemd. Now I'm in a process of building Gentoo and learning FreeBSD.
    Take Gentoo for example, if you want systemd, you can have it, if don't, there is no problem, just take OpenRC or runit.

Why I did not like systemd? I think it is not production ready, it is overly complicated. I tried #systemd IRC, I tried Unix & Linux stack
    to try to get some help to solve my problems, no one could. If you start doing complicated things, systemd breaks, some defaults
    simply do not work anymore. And for servers, systemd-homed? One say you will be able not to use it. We will see... I was at FOSDEM2020'
    Poettering's lecture about systemd-homed. There were legitimate questions about SSH, versioning, what if you migrate your home to
    a different machine with different versions of software and you .config brakes and won't work, and others? He was saying a lot that HE does not do
    something on his laptop, so some of the functionality won't be there, because who does this anyway? (This was his comment regarding SSHing
    to your laptop). I did not like his attitude and comments, or systemd. Can I? Of course I can.

Some madness I went through with systemd:
    + I have a NFS /home, which is mounted in a custom-made init in initrd and a second, local XFS partition.
    During shutdown /home is umounted, but XFS not, because... it cannot contact NFS server. WTF, local filesystem?
    So I added x-systemd.after=network.target to /etc/fstab, and now XFS is umouning! Bravo! But... for some reason
    nscd.service is not starting! Why, a file is missing, a file that was missing all the time but before this fstab flag
    it wasn't a problem (just an info in logs). touch an empty file, it works again?
    + I had some problems with this custom-made init, so I went to IRC #systemd. Some folks there said: "Oh, you know, you
    should build an initrd based on systemd, not a traditional one." Ok. I say, how do I do that? Reply: "Oh, you know, initrd
    with systemd is kind'a a wild west now and nobody really knows, you are on your own."
    + system.conf has the KillUserProcesses flag, which supposed to kill user processes on logout. But, instead, it killed a Hadoop
    server with SIGTERM15 during start-dfs.sh script. Commenting out the flag solved all problems. Imaging the amount of time we had to spent
    to find that this was the problem.
    + Not being able to start a large database system, because, as it turned out, the number of files (and other things) were too
    large for systemd (we had to tweak a lot of systemd to just start things that previously just worked). Our Dovecot had problems too...

But I think the most harm was done by distributions. If someone like systemd, no problem, use it. But please, at least leave me a choice!
    Some people had more that 10 years on board with Debian and Debian always was regarded as somewhat consevative distro. But now
    you have to use systemd, or go to another distro. Why taking away the freedom of choice?

Leave a comment:

• tuxd3v
    replied
    Originally posted by arokh View Post
    Insanity: check
    Uses LOC as argument: check
    Uses bugreports as argument: check
    The typical systemd hater
    Well,
    The fact that not everyone approves the way things are done in systemd, doesn't mean they are wrong..

In fact it could mean they are right..
    Systemd tried to simplify a lot of things , complicating tones of them in the process..

I understand that a lot of folks wannabe GNU/Linux experts, and I understand that should exist a way to lower the bar for them..

Ubuntu born for that,
    The majority of real professionals, had take a lot of effort to educate themselves sufficiently enough to work on GNU/Linux, the problem is the new coming people are too much MS Windows aware, and not prepared..

I understand that they glorify Systemd, but his adoption on the server is were the problem resides..

Leave a comment:

• arokh
    replied
    Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post
    I suppose this means that systemd is now up to 1,500,000 lines of code.

And most of you are the ones who complain about how unstable and full of regressions your new, GLOOORIOUS, glitzy distro is. You know the distro I'm talking about: the one in which which the developers "fix" your bug reports and complaints by ignoring you--except in the Linux Mint forums: there, the moderators--not just the "echo chamber" forum users--get actively involved by telling you what an a**hole you are.
    Insanity: check
    Uses LOC as argument: check
    Uses bugreports as argument: check

The typical systemd hater

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by andyprough View Post
    My point exactly, just an amateur internet psychologist who reads life instability into people's random forum posts.
    I remember the stuff he posts in the raspberry Pi threads, it's not just a random forum post.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    No, people who play amateur internet forum psychologist are more annoying than people who post rants.
    His only mistake is assuming psychologists have much use, but his diagnosis is correct, that user is far too volatile for his own good.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post
    "...there, the moderators--not just the "echo chamber" forum users--get actively involved by telling YOU what an a**hole YOU are.
    The fact that you get so angry about it does hint very strongly at the fact that that "you" is indeed you.

Also you are a asshole, so there is also that.

Leave a comment:

• computerquip
    replied
    Actually, whatever, I speak for everyone except for andyprough since he appears to want to die on this hill.

Leave a comment:

• computerquip
    replied

My point exactly, just an amateur internet psychologist who reads life instability into people's random forum posts.
    ... what? You literally didn't make a point.

EDIT: Also, guy walks into a store, starts knocking stuff down, telling people their IQ is small, and starts yelling at everyone... would you not think that person is ill? Same thing happening here dude.

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied
    Originally posted by computerquip View Post
    Doesn't take a psychologist to see when someone is unstable.

Leave a comment:

• computerquip
    replied

No, people who play amateur internet forum psychologist are more annoying than people who post rants.
    Doesn't take a psychologist to see when someone is unstable.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X