Systemd 245 Released - First Version Including Systemd-Homed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post
    I suppose this means that systemd is now up to 1,500,000 lines of code.
    it's more like "the sum total of all daemons and tools in the systemd repo amounts to 1,500,000 lines of code"

you didn't really think systemd is a single monolithic software running everything from a bootloader to init to login manager in the same application and run it as PID1, right?
    'AIGHT?

in the Linux Mint forums: there, the moderators--not just the "echo chamber" forum users--get actively involved by telling you what an a**hole you are.
    ah so there is other people calling you asshole? That's reassuring to know I'm not alone in thinking that

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      you didn't really think systemd is a single monolithic software running everything from a bootloader to init to login manager in the same application and run it as PID1, right?
      'AIGHT?
      A lot of the people who claim this know it's not really true, but they just want something to be angry about. Who cares if it's right or wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
        A lot of the people who claim this know it's not really true, but they just want something to be angry about. Who cares if it's right or wrong?
        Also called trolling

Comment

Still wondering what kind of performance should I expect from the LUKS virtual device on top of another filesystem...
          EDIT: Talking about systemd-homed

Comment

Originally posted by Shiba View Post
            Still wondering what kind of performance should I expect from the LUKS virtual device on top of another filesystem...
            And the recursive chown on your home directory when you log in. It's so hacky it hurts.

Comment

Originally posted by aorth View Post

And the recursive chown on your home directory when you log in. It's so hacky it hurts.
              Only if that uid is already taken. And you get stable uids across multiple systems without a central ldap.

I see it as a win. Its not perfect though

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix_anon View Post
                Are there any good articles on how to utilize some of the new homed features before they are eventually baked into the distro? I'm most interested in backups and portability.
                If the past is any indication of the future regarding decent in-depth tutorials on systemd features, it will likely be published by 3rd parties, probably review magazines and the blogs of interested parties. The actual programmers & developers of systemd tend to limit themselves to "man pages", "--help", their own blog pages, and conference presentations.

It seems to be typical of most things in the Linux world, to rephrase an old adage: programmers & developers do not write good documentation even when they get around to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

I know of something that is a giant single binary that runs with root privileges and contains a bazillion unrelated features including a x86 emulator: the X server. But that never bothers the Unix crybabies, who swear how much better than Wayland it is. Those rants are entirely fact free and ultimately always boil down to "it's not like old Unix".

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post
                    Only if that uid is already taken. And you get stable uids across multiple systems without a central ldap.

I see it as a win. Its not perfect though
                    Does it really need to do that, couldn't a uid shift take care of that problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Shiba View Post
                      Systemd-homed does not force using LUKS virtual disks, in fact I suspect that will be a very marginal use case. The main contribution I see in homed is that it will at long last get us rid of the /etc/passwd - shadow - group etc. trainwreck.

Comment

Working...
                      X