Samba 4.12 Released With Performance Improvements, IO_uring Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samba 4.12 Released With Performance Improvements, IO_uring Support

Phoronix: Samba 4.12 Released With Performance Improvements, IO_uring Support

Samba 4.12 is out this week as a big update to this prominent SMB/CIFS implementation for file exchange and printer sharing predominantly with Microsoft Windows systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In before somebody asks about software using IO_uring:
    - Samba
    - Possibly other 150 applications (liburing has 150 stars, assuming they all have used the library in some way or the other)

Comment

Can you add a link to the relevant mailing post to the article?

Comment

I assume this would be too late for Ubuntu 20.04 too...
        I wonder if this will help me achieve the maximum speed on transferring files between two computers similar to Windows 7 at around 110 MB/s on a direct gigabit connection.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          In before somebody asks about software using IO_uring:
          ... good to know. I'm pretty sure nothing in my distro is using it yet, but I'd pulled it from my kernel as I thought it had only Enterprise use-cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            I assume this would be too late for Ubuntu 20.04 too...
            I wonder if this will help me achieve the maximum speed on transferring files between two computers similar to Windows 7 at around 110 MB/s on a direct gigabit connection.
            In my experience, that's been easy achieve for a while as long as you mount shares via the kernel cifs module.

Last I checked, the kernel module wasn't fully SMB-3.1.1 capable (it was stuck at SMB-3.0 I believe; this may have changed in the meantime).
            Last edited by ermo; 10 March 2020, 05:02 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

There's a very nice writeup of io_uring, here: https://kernel.dk/io_uring.pdf

This is a good development. I once tried the posix aio interface and it indeed sucked. And Linus has long (always?) discouraged usage of & support for O_DIRECT, meaning the kernel's native aio interface isn't always available and comes with significant caveats.

I'm looking forward to giving io_uring a whirl, when I get a chance.
              Last edited by coder; 07 March 2020, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post

In my experience, that's been easy achieve for a while as long as you mount shares via the kernel cifs module.

Last I checked, the kernel module wasn't fully SMB-3.1.1 capable (it was stuck at SMB-3.0 I believe; this may have changed in the meatime).
                Well, I definitely don't know how to do that.
                I'll probably stick to Windows 7 when I need to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

Well, I definitely don't know how to do that.
                  I'll probably stick to Windows 7 when I need to do that.
                  Code:
                  man 8 mount.cifs
                  According to https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/LinuxCIFSKernel , SMB-3.1.1 has been supported when using the linux kernel cifs module via mount.cifs since linux-5.0.
                  Last edited by ermo; 10 March 2020, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X