Samba 4.12 Released With Performance Improvements, IO_uring Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samba 4.12 Released With Performance Improvements, IO_uring Support

Phoronix: Samba 4.12 Released With Performance Improvements, IO_uring Support

Samba 4.12 is out this week as a big update to this prominent SMB/CIFS implementation for file exchange and printer sharing predominantly with Microsoft Windows systems...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-4.12-Released

In before somebody asks about software using IO_uring:
    - Samba
    - Possibly other 150 applications (liburing has 150 stars, assuming they all have used the library in some way or the other)

Comment

Can you add a link to the relevant mailing post to the article?

Comment

I assume this would be too late for Ubuntu 20.04 too...
        I wonder if this will help me achieve the maximum speed on transferring files between two computers similar to Windows 7 at around 110 MB/s on a direct gigabit connection.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          In before somebody asks about software using IO_uring:
          ... good to know. I'm pretty sure nothing in my distro is using it yet, but I'd pulled it from my kernel as I thought it had only Enterprise use-cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            I assume this would be too late for Ubuntu 20.04 too...
            I wonder if this will help me achieve the maximum speed on transferring files between two computers similar to Windows 7 at around 110 MB/s on a direct gigabit connection.
            In my experience, that's been easy achieve for a while as long as you mount shares via the kernel cifs module.

Last I checked, the kernel module wasn't fully SMB-3.1.1 capable (it was stuck at SMB-3.0 I believe; this may have changed in the meantime).
            Last edited by ermo; 03-10-2020, 05:02 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

There's a very nice writeup of io_uring, here: https://kernel.dk/io_uring.pdf

This is a good development. I once tried the posix aio interface and it indeed sucked. And Linus has long (always?) discouraged usage of & support for O_DIRECT, meaning the kernel's native aio interface isn't always available and comes with significant caveats.

I'm looking forward to giving io_uring a whirl, when I get a chance.
              Last edited by coder; 03-07-2020, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post

In my experience, that's been easy achieve for a while as long as you mount shares via the kernel cifs module.

Last I checked, the kernel module wasn't fully SMB-3.1.1 capable (it was stuck at SMB-3.0 I believe; this may have changed in the meatime).
                Well, I definitely don't know how to do that.
                I'll probably stick to Windows 7 when I need to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

Well, I definitely don't know how to do that.
                  I'll probably stick to Windows 7 when I need to do that.
                  Code:
                  man 8 mount.cifs
                  According to https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/LinuxCIFSKernel , SMB-3.1.1 has been supported when using the linux kernel cifs module via mount.cifs since linux-5.0.
                  Last edited by ermo; 03-10-2020, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X