Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jcat: A New Alternative To Microsoft Catalog Files

Phoronix: Jcat: A New Alternative To Microsoft Catalog Files

Prolific open-source developer Richard Hughes of Red Hat who has been responsible for the creation of PackageKit, the ColorHug colorimeter hardware, GNOME Software, and for the past number of years focused on the Fwupd firmware updating utility and Linux Vendor Firmware Service (LVFS) has a new open-source project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why not call it HugCat tho

Comment

Is there any way to get in contact with Microsoft to request them to document the Catalog file format?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Is there any way to get in contact with Microsoft to request them to document the Catalog file format?
        20 years ago this would have been a farcical request, but the new cuddly Microsoft might do it if asked.

Comment

gzipped JSON file with signatures, eh? Seems almost too simple; therefore, might be a great success, imo.

Comment

Like SAK on the blog, I am not entirely sure if gzip is worth it? When stored on disk on a server, I would imagine the filesystem has .json files compressed. When sent over the network it's gzipped. But in the meantime everyone can cat .json files, but not .jcat files.
            I feel like I am missing something obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by J.G. View Post
              Like SAK on the blog, I am not entirely sure if gzip is worth it? When stored on disk on a server, I would imagine the filesystem has .json files compressed. When sent over the network it's gzipped. But in the meantime everyone can cat .json files, but not .jcat files.
              I feel like I am missing something obvious.
              zcat works fine. And there seems to be also zless on my system, works like less but is meant for gzipped text files.

I personally think it's a good idea to use gzip here. The signatures don't probably compress that much but metadata and other duplicate information will. Performance is not really an issue here.
              Last edited by Tomin; 29 February 2020, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post

zcat works fine. And there seems to be also zless on my system, works like less but is meant for gzipped text files.

I personally think it's a good idea to use gzip here. The signatures don't probably compress that much but metadata and other duplicate information will. Performance is not really an issue here.
                I never used zcat or zless before. Yes then I see no reason not to.

Comment

Working...
                X