Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reiser5 Updates For Linux 5.5 Along With Reiser4

Phoronix: Reiser5 Updates For Linux 5.5 Along With Reiser4

The out-of-tree Reiser4 and Reiser5 (Reiser4 v5) patches have been updated against the recently stabilized Linux 5.5 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think you know what is going to happen here.

Comment

I'd love to see some Reiser4 vs 5 benchmarks after they've had some time to polish off the code.

Comment

What about making a renamed fork?

Comment

Originally posted by StarterX4 View Post
          What about making a renamed fork?
          Linus should just come out and say it... no merge without rename.

Comment

ReiserFS is a killer filesystem.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

Where did MIT hang Epstein's donation plaque?

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
                Where did MIT hang Epstein's donation plaque?
                What MIT and Epstein has to do with this cold blood killer..?
                Seriously, its besides me..

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
                  While the name may be an issue for some (and so is the name GIMP to others for different reasons), I suspect the more important issue is the lack of a (clear) sustaining organization to maintain the filesystem, let alone make the changes that would be required to merge. With Namesys (the previous company which employed the filesystem developers) gone, there is simply not a sufficient number of active developers. And many of the features that were somewhat new with this filesystem have now been implemented or made available in other filesystems, making the case for this (yet another) filesystem less compelling. I expect that if changing the name to something like ShishkinFS (or TFFKAR (TheFilesystemFormerlyKnownAsReiser)) could generate substantial funding and substantial new developer interest that could, and would, have been done by now.

Comment

I used to use ReiserFS. It worked well for me.

If the code is high quality and there are no legal problems, I would like to see at least ReiserFS4 merged; especially if it solves the non-synchronous dir ops issue. It's mentioned on wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reiserfs#Criticism The way I used to use ReiserFS that wasn't a problem for me, but it was still a lingering itch in the back of my mind.

Comment

Working...
                    X