• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by Neraxa View Post
    ReiserFS is a killer filesystem.
    See how I told you? Come on, let's have a clean Reiser4/5 thread already...

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied
    Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

While the name may be an issue for some (and so is the name GIMP to others for different reasons), I suspect the more important issue is the lack of a (clear) sustaining organization to maintain the filesystem, let alone make the changes that would be required to merge. With Namesys (the previous company which employed the filesystem developers) gone, there is simply not a sufficient number of active developers. And many of the features that were somewhat new with this filesystem have now been implemented or made available in other filesystems, making the case for this (yet another) filesystem less compelling. I expect that if changing the name to something like ShishkinFS (or TFFKAR (TheFilesystemFormerlyKnownAsReiser)) could generate substantial funding and substantial new developer interest that could, and would, have been done by now.
    I really don't think you can compare GIMP and ReiserFS.

GIMPs initials happen to share characters with a word that in a certain regional dialect of English can be offensive.

ReiserFS is literally named after someone who killed his wife and hid her body.

To even put GIMP and ReiserFS in the same sentence is extraordinarly offensive to the GIMP developers.

Leave a comment:

• SystemCrasher
    replied
    The problem is/was Hans Reiser and his attitude. At some point he lost interest in ReiserFS
    At some point he got jailed for a murder. While it could be considered "attitude problem" for sure, I'd say it rather hard and unusual to be "interested in coding filesystems" while in jail. It isn't like it common practice or something to permit jailmates to write some code, eh?

Leave a comment:

• SystemCrasher
    replied
    Well, at least Reiser3's fsck has been quite successful at killing data and destroying filesystems

Leave a comment:

• PuckPoltergeist
    replied
    Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
    I used to use ReiserFS. It worked well for me.

If the code is high quality and there are no legal problems, I would like to see at least ReiserFS4 merged; especially if it solves the non-synchronous dir ops issue. It's mentioned on wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reiserfs#Criticism The way I used to use ReiserFS that wasn't a problem for me, but it was still a lingering itch in the back of my mind.
    The problem is/was Hans Reiser and his attitude. At some point he lost interest in ReiserFS and abandoned it. So ReiserFS was included in the kernel and had no maintainer. SuSE stepped in here, but Linus refused to include Reiser4 because of this behaviour. The question was, who will maintain the code, when Hans Reiser looses interest again? I doubt, the code will make it into the kernel, as long as this problem persist. And btw. code quality was a problem too. Hans Reiser refused to accept the kernel coding style.

Leave a comment:

• cybertraveler
    replied
    I used to use ReiserFS. It worked well for me.

If the code is high quality and there are no legal problems, I would like to see at least ReiserFS4 merged; especially if it solves the non-synchronous dir ops issue. It's mentioned on wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reiserfs#Criticism The way I used to use ReiserFS that wasn't a problem for me, but it was still a lingering itch in the back of my mind.

Leave a comment:

• CommunityMember
    replied
    Originally posted by cb88 View Post
    Linus should just come out and say it... no merge without rename.
    While the name may be an issue for some (and so is the name GIMP to others for different reasons), I suspect the more important issue is the lack of a (clear) sustaining organization to maintain the filesystem, let alone make the changes that would be required to merge. With Namesys (the previous company which employed the filesystem developers) gone, there is simply not a sufficient number of active developers. And many of the features that were somewhat new with this filesystem have now been implemented or made available in other filesystems, making the case for this (yet another) filesystem less compelling. I expect that if changing the name to something like ShishkinFS (or TFFKAR (TheFilesystemFormerlyKnownAsReiser)) could generate substantial funding and substantial new developer interest that could, and would, have been done by now.

Leave a comment:

• tuxd3v
    replied
    Originally posted by c117152 View Post
    Where did MIT hang Epstein's donation plaque?
    What MIT and Epstein has to do with this cold blood killer..?
    Seriously, its besides me..

Leave a comment:

• c117152
    replied
    Originally posted by cb88 View Post

Linus should just come out and say it... no merge without rename.
    Where did MIT hang Epstein's donation plaque?

Leave a comment:

• Neraxa
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X