Reiser5 Updates For Linux 5.5 Along With Reiser4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

While the name may be an issue for some (and so is the name GIMP to others for different reasons), I suspect the more important issue is the lack of a (clear) sustaining organization to maintain the filesystem, let alone make the changes that would be required to merge. With Namesys (the previous company which employed the filesystem developers) gone, there is simply not a sufficient number of active developers. And many of the features that were somewhat new with this filesystem have now been implemented or made available in other filesystems, making the case for this (yet another) filesystem less compelling. I expect that if changing the name to something like ShishkinFS (or TFFKAR (TheFilesystemFormerlyKnownAsReiser)) could generate substantial funding and substantial new developer interest that could, and would, have been done by now.
    The name isn't the issue, else businesses would be steering away from Microsoft Edge as well since "Edge" is a well-known innuendo.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

That joke is so stale it has mold on it. It's almost as bad as, "Why did the chicken cross the road?"

Comment

Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
        At some point he got jailed for a murder. While it could be considered "attitude problem" for sure, I'd say it rather hard and unusual to be "interested in coding filesystems" while in jail. It isn't like it common practice or something to permit jailmates to write some code, eh?
        Your timeline is way off. Reiser lost interest in supporting ReiserFS 3 when he moved on to 4. That was well before he murdered his wife. Years before.

Comment

Well, on its own design ideas of Reiser 4 looked superior to 3, so its not totally unexpected. Yet, filesystem isn't just about cool features or outstanding performance, but about how it all combines into a viable solution that could support some use cases. Or lack of it. At which point ppl have to consider boring crap like maintenance tools, dealing with imperfect scenarios, totally weird and unexpected HW failure modes and so on - and preferrably winging it. Otherwise, when filesystem fails you and you find self in the middle of nowhere, its not exactly fun, right?

Comment

Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
            At some point he got jailed for a murder.
            He lost interest in ReiserFS well before getting jailed

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
              I doubt the dude is ever going to publicly admit who he is on the internet,
              He was a pretty huge douchebag in the LKML thread about merging its newer ReiserFS, so I don't see why he shouldn't make clear to everyone that he is still a huge douchebag after he goes working again at his filesystem. You can't change people like that even in decent conditions, while US prison system usually makes people worse.

Comment

Back in the day I tried ReiserFS a few times and lost data every time. Every time they said they fixed a bunch of stuff and it was now stable, I found it not to be. Seemed pretty buggy and unstable to me. Do not want.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  .... after he goes working again at his filesystem. You can't change people like that even in decent conditions, while US prison system usually makes people worse.
                  I don't think anyone here (since we have not seen the psych evals) is going to be able to predict how someone will behave after being released from prison, whenever that may end up being (no one expects it to be in 2020(*), but he has the right to apply (I believe the first possible hearing date was scheduled for January, I don't know if it happened)), but I would be surprised if Mr. Reiser will be able to find any income stream such that he will have any time to be able to produce significant work product on any filesystem (with or without his name on it) as he owes his children $60M for the civil wrongful death lawsuit he lost(**), so he will be working for the rest of his life, likely in menial jobs, to pay that off.

(*) It is extremely rare for someone to be paroled on their first hearing when they were convicted of a violent crime.

(**) He lost it because he not only represented himself (always a bad idea), he eventually argued he was saving his children from their mother (his wife) by killing her, which quite honestly does not bode well for the results of that psych eval.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                    (Oversized, annoying image)
                    Please don't post oversized, annoying images in reply to my comments when you could easily make the same point in text. Thanks
                    But yeah, it will be 2040 and Reiser8fs will be out, and someone will say, "It's a killer filesystem. Har har har!", and still think it's clever.

Comment

Originally posted by linner View Post
                      Back in the day I tried ReiserFS a few times and lost data every time. Every time they said they fixed a bunch of stuff and it was now stable, I found it not to be. Seemed pretty buggy and unstable to me. Do not want.
                      as always FS experience is mostly anedoctical. I used to use it a lot back in the day, and I'm sure I still have a box doing actual work running an old debian with a Reiser3 /home.

Never missed a bit, and it was on very busy server.

You might have been unlucky or maybe it's me being lucky

Anyway, Reiser3 had a very decent design, for its time.

Comment

Working...
                      X