Red Hat's Stratis 2.0.1 Released For This Linux Storage Management Solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Yes it is. There's this whole ZFS on Linux team and at least two different mainstream distributions offer ZFS support and ZFS on root options (may need to use the terminal install).

RHEL isn't the only "Linux" there is.
    Does Linux at https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux have ZFS support?

No.

If you try and file a bug at the Linux bugzilla and it's caused by ZFS or a tained kernel, are you going to get support from the Linux developers? No.

So Linux does not support ZFS.

You could say Ubuntu Linux supports ZFS or ZFS is supported on Ubuntu Linux.
    Last edited by Britoid; 11 February 2020, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Yes it is. There's this whole ZFS on Linux team and at least two different mainstream distributions offer ZFS support and ZFS on root options (may need to use the terminal install).

RHEL isn't the only "Linux" there is.
      But RHEL is the only one that matters on the enterprise (with, maybe, SuSE).
      And, by the way, Redhat is the one who puts more efforts in development and the one who drives where the whole GNU/Linux industry goes.
      Last edited by cynic; 11 February 2020, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
        So by the time we reach EL9, we might have a proper replacement for btrfs that's present in EL7? I mean I know btrfs is often problematic, but they shouldn't have removed it before actually having an alternative. Currently Stratis is not an alternative, only a promise, and EL8 simply doesn't have any FS that offers transparent compression.
        as far as I know they dropped the support for btrfs mainly because they lost all the engineers working on it, so, basically, they weren't able to offer a proper support to their customers.

it sounds like a (bad) excuse to me, but that's what they say.

Comment

It is good to have many different solutions and approaches for storage available so people can choose what works best for them. Having a choice between btrfs, zfs, bcachefs, reiser, stratis, and lvm, cephfs,. for advanced filesystem needs is a good thing, and allows for choice in architectures.

Some mention they expect zfs to the main solution. This won't happen, zfs is good, but there is the licensing issue, and also other solutions are as good. bcachefs and btrfs will be every bit as good as zfs as they continue to be refined. Stratis uses a different architecture so its somewhat of a different philosophy anyway that would might be suitable for some but not others.

I prefer to have the single filesystem/volume manager layer such as with btrfs of zfs, and btrfs is maturing as a stable solution on par with zfs. But its good to have choices and i don't think there is a one size fits all solutions since people have different philosophies on what filesystem is appropriate.

Comment

I'm suprised nobody mentioned Btrfs and ZFS are not folowing Unix philosophy.
            LVM, dm-integrity, XFS, ... is more Unix approach.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Does Linux at https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux have ZFS support?

No.

If you try and file a bug at the Linux bugzilla and it's caused by ZFS or a tained kernel, are you going to get support from the Linux developers? No.

So Linux does not support ZFS.

You could say Ubuntu Linux supports ZFS or ZFS is supported on Ubuntu Linux.
              Linux distributions provide support for ZFS.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

But RHEL is the only one that matters on the enterprise (with, maybe, SuSE).
                Lolwut? I've never ever seen SuSE used in enterprise, at least not in the past 10 years or so. Red Hat and Ubuntu are used in all enterprises these days, followed by ChromeOS (depending on if you view ChromeOS as being Linux or not).

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                  I've never ever seen SuSE used in enterprise, at least not in the past 10 years or so.
                  SuSE does have a strong enterprise presence outside of a US centric viewpoint.

Comment

Originally posted by LightBit View Post
                    I'm suprised nobody mentioned Btrfs and ZFS are not folowing Unix philosophy.
                    LVM, dm-integrity, XFS, ... is more Unix approach.
                    The entire Linux kernel doesn't follow the Unix philosophy.

but its fine because Unix is dead.

Comment

While I'm hoping this becomes nice, long-term I don't expect it to survive.

ZFS being supported on Linux, BSD, OSX, Illumos, and (very early) Windows means there is no point in bothering with anything else since there's a file system that will do all the spiffy features and is, or rather will be, available everywhere.
                      Why would you even care about that anyway. This isn't a replacement for exFAT, Windows and OSX are fine with their current fs, illumos is dead.

Stratis will become much easier to use and also much more integrated in Linux userspace than ZFS will ever be (given the current status of those devs "not touching it with a 10ft pole", you know), and that's what will make it "win" or at least survive in the long run.
                      Last edited by starshipeleven; 11 February 2020, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X