Red Hat's Stratis 2.0.1 Released For This Linux Storage Management Solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat's Stratis 2.0.1 Released For This Linux Storage Management Solution

Phoronix: Red Hat's Stratis 2.0.1 Released For This Linux Storage Management Solution

Red Hat's Stratis storage project for offering enterprise storage capabilities on Linux to compete with the likes of ZFS and Btrfs while being built atop LVM and XFS saw the first update to its daemon of 2020...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm hoping this takes off, the performance and stability of XFS with the features of btrfs/zfs sound really enticing.

You can already some of them with other tools (e.g compression, deduplication etc), but they're a pain to use.

Comment

So by the time we reach EL9, we might have a proper replacement for btrfs that's present in EL7? I mean I know btrfs is often problematic, but they shouldn't have removed it before actually having an alternative. Currently Stratis is not an alternative, only a promise, and EL8 simply doesn't have any FS that offers transparent compression.

Comment

At the moment I'm trying to understand what Stratis really does, other than offer an abstraction layer. If you're familiar with LVM and you're familiar with XFS, what does Stratis do that you can't do with either?

Comment

Originally posted by Oddsocks View Post
          At the moment I'm trying to understand what Stratis really does, other than offer an abstraction layer. If you're familiar with LVM and you're familiar with XFS, what does Stratis do that you can't do with either?
          It makes setting it and managing a structure that's fine for most use cases easier.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
            So by the time we reach EL9, we might have a proper replacement for btrfs that's present in EL7? I mean I know btrfs is often problematic, but they shouldn't have removed it before actually having an alternative. Currently Stratis is not an alternative, only a promise, and EL8 simply doesn't have any FS that offers transparent compression.
            They pulled the same shenanigans with Docker/Podman.

Comment

cryptsetup/LVM/integritysetup/xfs is not cow so diff shipping is still not good. And lvm stripes are not as flexible as Btrfs. What is xfs even offer over ext4, etc?
              Last edited by elatllat; 11 February 2020, 09:59 AM.

Comment

While I'm hoping this becomes nice, long-term I don't expect it to survive.

ZFS being supported on Linux, BSD, OSX, Illumos, and (very early) Windows means there is no point in bothering with anything else since there's a file system that will do all the spiffy features and is, or rather will be, available everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  While I'm hoping this becomes nice, long-term I don't expect it to survive.

ZFS being supported on Linux, BSD, OSX, Illumos, and (very early) Windows means there is no point in bothering with anything else since there's a file system that will do all the spiffy features and is, or rather will be, available everywhere.
                  ZFS isn't supported on Linux though. This will hopefully eventually go into RHEL which if it lands there, it will survive because many people who use RHEL are asking for it (including myself).

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

ZFS isn't supported on Linux though. This will hopefully eventually go into RHEL which if it lands there, it will survive because many people who use RHEL are asking for it (including myself).
                    Yes it is. There's this whole ZFS on Linux team and at least two different mainstream distributions offer ZFS support and ZFS on root options (may need to use the terminal install).

RHEL isn't the only "Linux" there is.

Comment

Working...
                    X