Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.6-rc1 Released For What's Shaping To Be A Superb Kernel

Phoronix: Linux 5.6-rc1 Released For What's Shaping To Be A Superb Kernel

Linus Torvalds has just tagged Linux 5.6-rc1 as the first test kernel of the forthcoming Linux 5.6. This is going to be a jam-packed big update debuting as stable at the end of March or early April...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can anyone please report if this kernel has a fix for the Wireless connection not working anymore for some Intel adapters ?
    It was broken sometime in 5.5 and it's not fixed yet even in the latest 5.5.2.
    The adapter I noticed this problem for is:
    Intel Corporation Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168NGW [Stone Peak] (rev 10)

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      Can anyone please report if this kernel has a fix for the Wireless connection not working anymore for some Intel adapters ?
      I did notice these two patches were available for 5.5: https://github.com/sirlucjan/kernel-...patches-v8-sep

Particularly:

0002-iwlwifi-pcie-restore-support-for-Killer-Qu-C0-NICs.patch
      0004-iwlwifi-mvm-Do-not-require-PHY_SKU-NVM-section-for-3.patch

Looks like the 0004-iwlwifi patch is for the 3168 devices going by the commit message.

So if I had to guess, these should be included in 5.6-rc1 and will likely be available in 5.5.3 or higher.

edit: I applied the patches, first one failed, and the second one was successful. Unfortunately I think you needed the 0004 patch, not the 0002 patch.

linux-5.6-rc1 ❯ patch -p1 < ./0002-iwlwifi-pcie-restore-support-for-Killer-Qu-C0-NICs.patch
      patching file drivers/net/wireless/intel/iwlwifi/pcie/drv.c
      Hunk #1 FAILED at 1107.
      1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file drivers/net/wireless/intel/iwlwifi/pcie/drv.c.rej

linux-5.6-rc1 ❯ patch -p1 < ./0004-iwlwifi-mvm-Do-not-require-PHY_SKU-NVM-section-for-3.patch
      patching file drivers/net/wireless/intel/iwlwifi/mvm/nvm.c
      Last edited by perpetually high; 09 February 2020, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

I did notice these two patches were available for 5.5: https://github.com/sirlucjan/kernel-...patches-v8-sep

Particularly:

Looks like the 0004-iwlwifi patch is for the 3168 devices going by the commit message.

So if I had to guess, these should be included in 5.6-rc1 and will likely be available in 5.5.3 or higher.
        Wow, thank you! I have not been able to find these myself.
        Indeed it looks that these might fix the problem.
        Also, I see 'arch-patches', which I don't know if it's related or not, but searching on the internet for this problem, I could find only Arch Linux users talking about this problem.
        I think I will wait for Ubuntu developers to compile 5.6-rc1 or 5.5.3 and then Ukuu kernel updater to pick it up.
        Last edited by Danny3; 09 February 2020, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

Particularly:

The killer patches are in 5.6-rc1[1] but I don't see it queued for 5.5.3-rc1[2] so far.

The patch you posted for 3168 cards is not in mainline from what I can tell [3].

[1] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux...f41dc1d824904e
          [2] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux...ux-5.5.y#n1108
          [3] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux...mvm/nvm.c#n311

Comment

Micheal, can we expect some extensive tests on the kernel, to see the perfomance gains, or to weed out the worst potential slow downs? Its always a good read, and helps everybody to decide to upgrade the kernel or not. Bisecting problems is also tip inducing factor in my opinion, hint hint...

Kind regards
            Brut

Comment

the easiest way to have it fixed (or at least watched) is to report it to your distribution

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

the easiest way to have it fixed (or at least watched) is to report it to your distribution
                My distribution is crap, because it's Ubuntu based (Kubuntu) and from what I saw Ubuntu don't really care about contributing stuff or fixes upstream to the kernel.
                And besides, this is a problem that I'm seeing just because I manually upgraded the kernel with Ukuu tool.
                Maybe Ubuntu developers might tell me that this is something that I shouldn't have done or that the 5.5 kernel is not officially unsupported.
                Seeing that they even decided for the next Ubuntu version to go backward with the kernel instead of moving forward or use the current one, I don't think they care even a bit about what happens in 5.5 or forward.
                Maybe they even saw this problem with 5.5, but since they decided to go with 5.4, they don't actually need to do anything about it. Less work for them as they wanted.

Anyway, I'm thinking to move away from Kubuntu to Manjaro KDE because I'm really tired of greedy Canonical's anti-user decisions.
                All its decisions like dropping support for 32bit programs and games, old kernel for new Ubuntu release, very old Qt version for KDE Plasma, spyware (data collection) annoys me a lot and pressures me to find a distribution that has a good and performant KDE Plasma integration.

I tested lately Manjaro KDE and I was really impressed how fast it is, that it has Plasma compiled with really latest version of Qt and it has a very nice graphical interface to configure a lot of systemd's features.
                The only big thing is to see if I can install ROCm on it, as AMD officially supports only Ubuntu. Without this I cannot move.

But with all these disappointing Canonical's decisions and the feeling that I should move, I don't really feel any willingness to contribute anything to Canonicals products anymore, including bug reports about the part that they don't care about.

Comment

My distribution is crap, because it's Ubuntu based (Kubuntu)

[...]

But with all these disappointing Canonical's decisions and the feeling that I should move, I don't really feel any willingness to contribute anything to Canonicals products anymore, including bug reports about the part that they don't care about.
                  well, I can't tell about Manjaro, but I do 100% agree with you with your complains about Canonical/Ubuntu

Comment

Wow, thank you! I have not been able to find these myself.
                    Indeed it looks that these might fix the problem.
                    Also, I see 'arch-patches', which I don't know if it's related or not, but searching on the internet for this problem, I could find only Arch Linux users talking about this problem.
                    I think I will wait for Ubuntu developers to compile 5.6-rc1 or 5.5.3 and then Ukuu kernel updater to pick it up.
                    Ubuntu 20.04 will ship with 5.4, so you're gonna be waiting a while. It's part of the reason I parted ways with Ubuntu after more then 10 years of an otherwise smooth sailing.

Comment

Working...
                    X