Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Bag of rack mount screws.
    Dont we all smoke some rack mount srews?

Comment

I believe you.

Comment

This is definitely the kernel we've been waiting for with all the awesome stuff like:
        AMD Zen/Zen2 thermal and power reporting, SATA temperature reporting, AMD GPU reset, Initial USB4, Wireguard, Multi-path TCP, etc.
        It seems to be awesome and very good for the start of the new year!

And ubuntu 20.04 would've been awesome too if they would've picked this kernel for their LTS release instead of sticking to an even older kernel which doesn't have these features and forces people, if they want to use LTS a with good hardware support and with lots of functionality, to wait 2 more years.
        So yeah, 20.04 might be the most pathetic Ubuntu release I have ever seen and might be the last straw for me with them.

I don't want to wait 2 more years to get a LTS with and updated core (the most important piece of an OS) that has good support for newer AMD CPUs and GPUs.

Anyway, I'm very eager to test this new kernel to see first if they've solved the broken built-in Wifi on x470 motherboards.
        For the first time I see that Wifi is not working at all (no networks can be seen) on a newer Linux kernel (5.5.2).
        Last edited by Danny3; 10 February 2020, 02:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          So yeah, 20.0 might be the most pathetic Ubuntu release I have ever seen and might be the last straw for me with them.
          I don't want to wait 2 more years to get a LTS with and updated core (the most important piece of an OS) that has good support for newer AMD CPUs and GPUs.
          I mean you can always run an LTS release with a kernel from a different PPA.

Comment

Are those rack screws 3/16?
            ...or 4/20

Comment

So yeah, 20.0 might be the most pathetic Ubuntu release I have ever seen and might be the last straw for me with them.

there's no such thing as 20.0, its 20.04.
              Yes its unfortunate that release time frames aren't perfectly aligned but that's not Canonical fault, is it? Anyway, if you don't understand why Canonical uses fixed release schedule then you're better off switching to a different distro. I've heard Arch looks promising for people who don't understand what release really means...

Comment

Originally posted by doublez13 View Post

I know, I use Ukuu to manually upgrade the kernel, but It comes with problems when you do this, especially on a LTS release.
                There are some badly designed software that breaks because of it.
                For example ROCm has support only for Ubuntu LTS releases and it actually checks if the the original kernel version for that release and if it's now, because you upgraded it, it will refuse to install and you are screwed.
                Either you use ROCm on the older version and miss all the features and security enhancements of the newer versions or upgrade the kernel and don't have the ability to run ROCm.
                So no, when some software says it support only Ubuntu LTS, it may do this stupid checks and make choose one side and lose the other.

Comment

Its a pitty that this Kernel mostlikely will not end up as a LTS Kernel. 5.4 is the most recent LTS hence no LTS before 5.9 ...if we apply the regular scheme

Comment

They do have HWE these days. It updates kernel, xorg and mesa from newer Ubuntu every three months. So they actually support using newer kernels than what was there when the LTS was released. This was meant for supporting latest hardware in LTS releases but it also gives nice speed boost for those that use newer graphics and need new mesa or kernel.

Personally I use Fedora that updates kernel to the latest once it passes QA after release.

Comment

Originally posted by doublez13 View Post

Yeah yeah. Explain to us, please, what is the benefit of using an LTS release if you resort to PPAs? You do realise, i think you are a smart guy, that this defeats the purpose of an LTS release, right?

Comment

Working...
                      X