Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.6 NFSD Adds Server-To-Server Copy Support

Phoronix: Linux 5.6 NFSD Adds Server-To-Server Copy Support

Following the Linux 5.5 NFS client adding support for server-to-server cross-device offloaded copies, the NFSD side for Linux 5.6 is now enabling its portion of handling server-side copies...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...x-5.6-NFSD-SSC

Does NFS still make assumptions about the cross-device coherence of UIDs, rather than mapping the client to a local UID based on the associated username-password used to log in like a sane network protocol?

That was my original reason for choosing to use Samba for all my LAN file-sharing back in 2004 and, to this day, I'm puzzled why the Samba people can't collaborate with the Kernel SMB/CIFS driver authors to come up with an extension that allows two recent Ubuntu derivatives to Just Work™ when doing a Linux-to-Linux copy of filenames containing colons and other characters that wind up in my mother's document filenames without Windows around to refuse them.
    Last edited by ssokolow; 02-07-2020, 09:45 PM.

Comment

NFS maps to the correct local users since version 4. You merely have to be part of the same domain (configurable in the very same config file).

Comment

It's 2020 so... NFS was made by Sun and you know, can't have Unix stuff in Linux anymore so... we probably should rewrite it. Preferably part of systemd.. also add a vague name like netsourcefilesd or something like that please.

Comment

Working...
        X