Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

please ...dont trigger me
    To where do we report those micro-aggressions that might trigger you? Some Court in the EU?

Comment

Originally posted by doublez13 View Post
      These use cases are too narrow in my opinion.

Why implement a partition manager that can only add and grow partitions? I'll still need to use fdisk/gdisk for shrinking and deleting, so why not just continue to use them for everything?
      Hey! Give systemd some time. They follow the M$ code development strategy of "embrace, extend, extinguish". Right now they are in the "embrace" stage with that feature, but it sounds like you want the "extend" stage of M$-systemd code development.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
        I don't want stop systemd evolution. I just hope systemd will split in several packages like systemd-spawn, so if you need systemd-home you just install it. I mean that can't be the default setup; or at least during the installation time you should able to enable it.
        I would agree with your approach. I have yet to find a distribution that will implement that approach.

Manufacturers have the Wintel influence to subsidize the hardware. I guess Linux has the systemd influence to control the direction of most software?

Comment

I'm surprised that nobody has taken exception to user and group information being put into JSON. One might consider this the start of the slippery slope from a "/etc" that you can fix with just a text editor toward a binary registry. Yes, you can fix JSON with a text editor, but it's more likely to be problematic.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

Possibility isn't theoretical in this case though. Several distributions routinely already split systemd into multiple binary packages already. There is very little in systemd that is a strict dependency
            And there are how many distros left at this point? Somewhere North of 50? "Several distros" taken literally, only would prove my point..

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

You're just going to end up with esystemd at this point.
              No reason to ditch potentially good services, except that systemd is thought out like crap and tries to stop you.

Originally posted by aht0 View Post

You can just disable the freakin' module and employ 'tar' if need should ever rise. Looks like systemD folks have forgotten 'tar' exists and found another redundant feature to add into scope creep.
              Mh actually I'm more interested in the encrypted home stuff. I have pam_mount, but it looks like it could break anytime now.
              Last edited by Shiba; 06 February 2020, 04:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiba View Post

No reason to ditch potentially good services, except that systemd is thought out like crap and tries to stop you.

Mh actually I'm more interested in the encrypted home stuff. I have pam_mount, but it looks like it could break anytime now.
                So are you going to work on an alternative?

Comment

How many do you need? It's not like block device encryption nor folder encryption were impossibility previously ˇˇ
                  Implying that it's going to provide functionality not present before, is misleading.

Comment

Originally posted by doublez13 View Post
                    These use cases are too narrow in my opinion.

Why implement a partition manager that can only add and grow partitions? I'll still need to use fdisk/gdisk for shrinking and deleting, so why not just continue to use them for everything?
                    Like many systemd features, I'm guessing this is for servers, automated installs (maybe for IT workers managing computers) etc.

Comment

Not an alternative, on forking it out I might help. I did a bit of troubleshooting on elogind in the past.

Comment

Working...
                      X