Systemd 245 Shipping Soon With Systemd-Homed, Systemd-Repart Partitioner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
    If you have to have a tick box to enable vsync, the software is doing something wrong.
    Keep in mind that "software" in question (Plasma, X, X drivers) is probably written on Linux, for Linux and in process or porting software + running drivers over Linux kpi compatibility interface many little idiosyncracies may go unnoticed. Me for example don't use vsync at all (1msec monitor), not even on Windows.

I do think tho that Plasma had "tick box" for vsync somewhere under Screen Settings, at least I sort of remember seeing it while running nVidia cards on FreeBSD. nVidia drivers offered their own configuration app tho, might have been there. Would have to check AMD box but I am off home atm.

Comment

Originally posted by Mani View Post

This has actually been possible from the very beginning of the systemd project. If you compile it yourself you can choose whichever part you like, the only prerequisites are udev and journald if I am not mistaken.
      Well, this is what our dear friend Poettering considers being modular. But I prefer another approach where there is a core unit and then you can install all the packages you need to have further features. Otherwise for me it is just a trick to inoculate unwanted and unnecessary features in Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Mani View Post
        This has actually been possible from the very beginning of the systemd project. If you compile it yourself you can choose whichever part you like, the only prerequisites are udev and journald if I am not mistaken.
        Possibility is largely theoretical, how many do that? Too many ways to break your system if you go and try disabling/replacing more than few systemd modules. Especially on distros based on binary package sets, not compiled-by-user, which adds extra hoops user would have to jump through to get what she/he wants.
        Correct me of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
          I don't want stop systemd evolution. I just hope systemd will split in several packages like systemd-spawn, so if you need systemd-home you just install it. I mean that can't be the default setup; or at least during the installation time you should able to enable it.
          That is exactly how systemd works. Its the distribution packagers that choose the (default) packages and some are more popular than others. Not sure if any of the larger distributions defaults to systemd-boot over grub.

Comment

Just because nobody is doing it this does not make it theoretical, its not even very hard to do so. On the other hand, even if it is installed on your system you are not forced to use the individual parts by any means. Neither do they take up a lot of space nor is it particularly hard to disable the individual binaries.
            If you want something truly modular the systemd api is well documented therefore, it shouldn't be that hard to reimplement the api. It doesn't seem enough developers care about this though.
            IMHO the last thing we need are some halve a***d implementations like eudev and elogind. The developers just forked the systemd project and stripped out all the systemd parts. Since both are not forked from the same version they tend to cause a lot of interoperability problems without doing any good to the ecosystem.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post

Possibility is largely theoretical, how many do that? Too many ways to break your system if you go and try disabling/replacing more than few systemd modules. Especially on distros based on binary package sets, not compiled-by-user, which adds extra hoops user would have to jump through to get what she/he wants.
              Correct me of wrong.
              Possibility isn't theoretical in this case though. Several distributions routinely already split systemd into multiple binary packages already. There is very little in systemd that is a strict dependency

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post

Well, this is what our dear friend Poettering considers being modular. But I prefer another approach where there is a core unit and then you can install all the packages you need to have further features. Otherwise for me it is just a trick to inoculate unwanted and unnecessary features in Linux.
                Yeh this is already possible as someone else already pointed out, although there's little point in splitting it up like this because if you don't use it, it won't run and the binaries are tiny.

The only two hard dependencies of systemd is journald and udev.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
                  Yeh this is already possible as someone else already pointed out, although there's little point in splitting it up like this because if you don't use it, it won't run and the binaries are tiny.

The only two hard dependencies of systemd is journald and udev.
                  That was an arguable choice from Poettering that was addressed thousand of times, we all knew the history, I don't like it: simply.

Comment

I'm looking forward to trying this. It's about time Linux got some sane user account management capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                      -homed is going to kill off more distributionism. Couldn’t be better. Go get’em lennarD
                      Agreed. I expect more and more niche distributions to fall by the side of the road as systemd adds more and more "features".

So when will "systemd-linuxd", a full-blown Linux distribution appear?

[ducks and runs]

Comment

Working...
                      X