Systemd 245 Shipping Soon With Systemd-Homed, Systemd-Repart Partitioner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Systemd 245 Shipping Soon With Systemd-Homed, Systemd-Repart Partitioner

Phoronix: Systemd 245 Shipping Soon With Systemd-Homed, Systemd-Repart Partitioner

Systemd 245 is soon shipping as the first feature update of 2020 and it's another big one...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's a whole bunch of interesting sounding functionality

Comment

that actually sounds useful. i relied on similar technology when building opensuse recovery images, where they would setup their partitions automatically on first boot after restore.

Comment

One of advantages of Systemd-Homed can be more portability and more abstraction of the classic /home/user/. A user can plug it's personal home folder to another machine via an external drive and have a personal configuration (via JSON ) let's say GNOME (or KDE) custom setting of the environment, working by default. Or something in like that, at least in theory. Hoping this will not create a mess
        -----
        Plug and Play or Plug & Pray home directory, will remain to be seen
        Last edited by onicsis; 05 February 2020, 10:46 AM.

Comment

It's really nice to see that every systemd release tries to bring some organization into the GNU/Linux madness.
          The rich user and group records are quite nice:

But I wish the user metadata would be more smart and allow setting more than one preferred language. At least 3 I would say.
          One native, one foreign and third fallback to English let's say.
          Also it would be nice to be able to specify if the language preference should be used for software interfaces or for audio language or subtitle language.
          Maybe one day all web browsers and video players can read all these language preferences and use them without the need to define them again on a per browser or per player level.

Comment

About time that a partition manager is included. I'm still waiting for iTunes-D to manage all my music and movies and shows, and Amazon-D to do all my shopping for me.

Hurry up Lennart, time's wasting, my personal entertainment and finances aren't going to magically organize themselves.

Comment

I hope homed isn't going to be automatically enabled when I upgrade. I understand the benefits and it's a nice option, but I really don't want it on my system. I like my /home the way it is.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                I hope homed isn't going to be automatically enabled when I upgrade. I understand the benefits and it's a nice option, but I really don't want it on my system. I like my /home the way it is.
                It's entirely optional. Not really possible to just add it in as part of an upgrade. This requires your distribution to integrate it

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                  -homed is going to kill off more distributionism. Couldn’t be better. Go get’em lennarD
                  We already have eudev and elogind, hopefully we would get a ehomed, although it's not nearly as far as important.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                    We are systemd. Lower your shields and surrender your partitions. We will add your home to our own. Resistance is futile.

Comment

Working...
                    X