Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could JPEG2000 Finally Take Off In 2020? It's A Possibility With High Throughput HTJ2K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HyperDrive View Post
    I was leafing through the pages to look if anyone put the relevant xkcd.

Great job!

Comment

Originally posted by Zucca View Post
      I've always wondered why Apple is a fan of proprietary codecs, while otherwise they do use quite a lot of open-source stuff. Webkit as an example here.
      Patents. Money. Duh. What sort of silly question is this?

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

Every 4K HDR ready movie streaming from iTunes uses HEVC.
        AppleTV+ streams all 4K Content in HEVC.

AppleTV+ is available beyond the direct Apple Hardware Ecosystem and now in nearly all major 2019 and newer 4K and above HDTV Smart TVs.

Apple is openly w/o beating their own chests getting the world to adopt it.
        So basically just Apple, because they own patents in it. No one else wants to touch it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zucca View Post

This is good news. Although I don't see Apple logo on their site... just yet at least. Wikipedia however states Apple being a member.
          Apple is not just a Member, it is a Founding Member, So they didn't join "later". They were there from Day 1, ( Without having their Logo on it )

Someone decided to Add their presence on it anyway, but still not getting permission to use their Logo. Which is quite something.

Compared to MC-IF, literally everyone is on board with VVC. ( But on board doesn't mean they agree on everything )

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

So basically just Apple, because they own patents in it. No one else wants to touch it.
            It is very important to note. The world isn't just the "Web". TV Production, Blu Ray ( Yes that is still a thing, ) Live Broadcast, all uses or intend to use HEVC.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

No, it's a sign that Apple is willing to contribute some IP to interoperate with HEIV/HEIC/HEIF. Apple won't abandon HEIC as it has proven quite invaluable already in the macOS/iOS/tvOS/WatchOS ecosystem.
              So why have they joined AOMedia then? It doesn't have to mean that they abandon HEIC right away, or at all. Both formats could co-exist for a time (or forever going forward).

Comment

Originally posted by ksec View Post
                Apple is not just a Member, it is a Founding Member, So they didn't join "later".
                Not according to Wikipedia.
                Originally posted by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alliance_for_Open_Media#History
                The founding members are Amazon, Cisco, Google, Intel, Microsoft, Mozilla, and Netflix.
                Originally posted by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alliance_for_Open_Media#History
                The alliance saw expansion of its member list since inception. On April 5, 2016, the Alliance for Open Media announced that AMD, ARM, and Nvidia had joined, and Adobe, Ateme, Ittiam and Vidyo joined in the months following. On November 13, 2017, Facebook later joined as a governing member. In January 2018 the alliance's website was quietly updated to add Apple as a governing member of the alliance. On April 3, 2019, Samsung Electronics joined as a governing member. October 1, 2019, Tencent joined as a governing member
                Apparently "founding members" aren't all founding members...
                Originally posted by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alliance_for_Open_Media#Operation_and_structure
                There are two levels of membership: organizations can join as an ordinary member, or as a governing member with a seat on the board of directors. Confusingly, these are dubbed "founding members" in AOM terminology, although they need not be members since the Alliance was founded.
                Last edited by Zucca; 05 February 2020, 06:01 PM. Reason: Removed useless @mention.

Comment

Great. My post is being approved. I made I little mistake in the post and I cannot edit it now.
                  Last edited by Zucca; 05 February 2020, 12:39 PM. Reason: TYPOFIX

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
                    Regarding "We definitely need to do away with the 8 bit limit of JPEG" - for people interested in high-quality still or moving image production, yes, sure.
                    But 99.9% of all uses of image formats are done by users who could not care less about color spaces and high dynamic range. Realistically, JPEG is "good enough" for almost everyone, just as MP3 is "good enough" for almost everyone. JPEG is here to stay indefinitely, with other formats competing for a 0.1% use case residual.
                    8 bit has been the standard since pretty well the beginning of digital video and that is what every one was used to. But that started changing a few years ago and buying any thing limited to just 8 bit is becoming almost impossible because the added cost to up the bit rate is trivial. I agree that most people don't know what you are talking about when you say 8 bit or 10 bit. But when you show them the difference side by side they get it instantly. One of the problems people have is people showing them stuff that is supposed to be 10 bit or higher but one step in the process was 8 bit and so F's up every thing else.

Even if I am going to deliver in 8 bit due to a customers requirements I will still edit both pictures and videos in at least 10 bit in order to avoid all the artifacats that you get with 8 bit. Every time you see banding in an image you can point the finger directly at some thing being crappy old 8 bit. Walk over to the TV section of Best Buy and try to convince your self that no one cares about color spaces and dynamic range. People aren't signing up for UHD subscriptions and buying UHD disks because they don't care.

Comment

They should rename it JPEG 20/20.

Comment

Working...
                      X