Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could JPEG2000 Finally Take Off In 2020? It's A Possibility With High Throughput HTJ2K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
    HEIF has a better chance than JPEG2000 and AVIF or any of those others for one simple reason: I had to install support for it so my mother could open the photos from her damn iPhone.
    I've always wondered why Apple is a fan of proprietary codecs, while otherwise they do use quite a lot of open-source stuff. Webkit as an example here.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
      even Apple joined AOMedia, albeit later than other main contributors. I guess that is a sign that even Apple thinks that AV1 and AVIF are the way forward.
      I really don't know. They have done the least possible to back the cause: They joined in silence, and their logo is still missing on the members page. If you are right, I suppose it's more in the sense of a threat.

If we focus on what they objectively did, they joined AOM at the highest level, too late to add anything to AV1. Maybe they wanted a last minute veto in AV1, and maybe they want a word in the development of AV2 going forward.

I see this in relation to Apple being patent shy as they are:

Originally posted by Zucca View Post
      I've always wondered why Apple is a fan of proprietary codecs
      Because of patent risks: Never adopt standards you didn't take part in making.
      Last edited by andreano; 04 February 2020, 08:40 PM.

Comment

No more JPEG (gif, png, etc) crap please, only webp or AVIF please.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
          No more JPEG (gif, png, etc) crap please, only webp or AVIF please.
          Given how WebP support lags behind JPEG, GIF, and PNG, and how AVIF isn't supported at all yet in the libraries I use, I've thought long and hard about whether I can fudge things enough to justify refusing them on grounds similar to my decision on Animated PNG.

(I've decided that, in my creations, Animated PNG uploads will either be refused as corrupt or stripped down to single-frame PNG during the upload process because they violate the PNG standard. Firefox has to maintain their own fork of libpng because the PNG spec explicitly says that the PNG file header denotes a single-frame image... a decision specifically made because of the mess around identifying whether or not a GIF is animated without a full-blown parser.)

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

Except that no streaming service is using it. They're all sticking with the decades old H.264 due to the hopeless patent quagmire of H.265.

Only a few adopted VP9 (Google, Netflix, and now Hotstar).
            Every 4K HDR ready movie streaming from iTunes uses HEVC.
            AppleTV+ streams all 4K Content in HEVC.

AppleTV+ is available beyond the direct Apple Hardware Ecosystem and now in nearly all major 2019 and newer 4K and above HDTV Smart TVs.

Apple is openly w/o beating their own chests getting the world to adopt it.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Given how WebP support lags behind JPEG, GIF, and PNG, and how AVIF isn't supported at all yet in the libraries I use, I've thought long and hard about whether I can fudge things enough to justify refusing them on grounds similar to my decision on Animated PNG.

(I've decided that, in my creations, Animated PNG uploads will either be refused as corrupt or stripped down to single-frame PNG during the upload process because they violate the PNG standard. Firefox has to maintain their own fork of libpng because the PNG spec explicitly says that the PNG file header denotes a single-frame image... a decision specifically made because of the mess around identifying whether or not a GIF is animated without a full-blown parser.)
              I hate animated images. Think twice before posting them, use webm or die please.

Comment

Originally posted by quikee View Post

FUIF + PIK = JPEG XL and yes it's a very very good format for images. I really hope it will be adapted, but I don't see much excitement sadly.

As for JPEG 2000 it's a solid format even for today's standards. The biggest obstacles, why it wasn't adapted were not that much the efficiency (which is better than JPEG in almost all cases) and the features, but speed and patents. Patents aren't problem anymore and speed is solved largely with HTJ2K. If it will take of I don't think so, but it did find itself into some standards (PDF for example) and usages (as a format for digital cinema).

I wouldn't be too sad if JPEG 2000 takes off instead of other formats, but I think the best scenario would be JPEG XL, worst HEIF. AVIF would also be fine, but the thing that bugs me is that it supports lossless, but only for YUV, not RGB. Also AVIF and HEIF have a limited bit depth to 12-bits (more likely 10-bits) per channel and I don't know why a "future proof" image format would need to be limited just that (camera sensors capture 14-bits).
                Exactly.

And it has shown XL is already competitive if not better than AVIF, that is quite something. It also has all the important properties for usage on the web. I will go as far as to say I cant see any drawbacks at this moment. ( Ok may be it isn't as competitive in the really low bitrate, )

I dont think it is 1.0 yet. Which is why it hasn't gotten much fan fare.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

I hate animated images. Think twice before posting them, use webm or die please.
                  Did you read what I wrote? I said that my attitude toward Animated PNG is to either refuse them with a "This image is corrupted" message or convert them to non-animated PNG on upload.

Heck, I'm strongly in favour of being able to do something like this in my site's CSS:

Code:
                  img {
                      animation: fuck-off;
                  }

Comment

I've always wondered why Apple is a fan of proprietary codecs, while otherwise they do use quite a lot of open-source stuff. Webkit as an example here.
                    Because Movie Industry loves proprietary codecs for whatever reason, and Apple simply does not want confuse its customers by not adopting those codecs.

Comment

I've always wondered why Apple is a fan of proprietary codecs
                      Originally posted by ms178 View Post
                      Apple joined AOMedia
                      This is good news. Although I don't see Apple logo on their site... just yet at least. Wikipedia however states Apple being a member.

Comment

Working...
                      X