F2FS Experimental Compression Is Ready For Extending Flash Storage Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2FS Experimental Compression Is Ready For Extending Flash Storage Life

Phoronix: F2FS Experimental Compression Is Ready For Extending Flash Storage Life

The F2FS file-system compression functionality is the main feature addition for this flash-optimized file-system coming with the Linux 5.6 kernel. This native LZO/LZ4 compression support is geared for optimizing the lifespan of SSDs/flash memory thanks to reducing disk writes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why no Zstd ?

Comment

Question is how to install an any linux operating system by using this file system.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
        Question is how to install an any linux operating system by using this file system.
        1. Install to a secondary disk.
        2. Recompile your kernel with F2FS support built in.
        3. Partition your primary disk with F2FS as root and /boot on VFAT/EXT4 (or whatever you like that your bootloader supports).
        4. Rsync/tar your filesystem over to the primary.
        5. Redo your bootloader and enjoy.

Comment

I partitioned my SSD and formatted it f2fs then installed a linux distribution on it.
          You need f2fs-tools and run mkfs.f2fs
          You will need grub 2.04 or a earlier version with patched f2fs support to boot an f2fs filesystem.

Comment

The focus of this F2FS compression support is less about maximizing storage capacity and more about trying to reduce writes to extend the life of the flash storage and reducing I/O congestion.
            Ham? 🤔

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
              Use some distro with F2FS support on install, like Gentoo, Arch, Opensuse (I think)...

Comment

This could possibly increase performance on SSDs bottlenecked by slow bus (sata, usb...), am I right?

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
                  Use some distro with F2FS support on install, like Gentoo, Arch, Opensuse (I think)...
                  Even Slackware current supports F2FS install so i would expect it to be pretty common.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                    Even Slackware current supports F2FS install so i would expect it to be pretty common.
                    Debian will enable idem: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...ot-File-System

Comment

Working...
                    X