Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WireGuard + Multi-Path TCP Were Merged Tonight Into Linux 5.6

Phoronix: WireGuard + Multi-Path TCP Were Merged Tonight Into Linux 5.6

The very exciting networking subsystem updates have made it into the Linux 5.6 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yep, 5.6 has a lot of good things.

Comment

I just wonder, if it will be possible, to backport wireguard into "older" kernels?

Like 5.3.x. Since that is the one, presumably going into openSUSE 15.2.

(Or if it has to stay as KMP?)

Edit: Typo KMP (Kernel Modul Package), not KML
      Last edited by rgloor; 29 January 2020, 05:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rgloor View Post
        I just wonder, if it will be possible, to backport wireguard into "older" kernels?

(Or if it has to stay as kml?)
        Is openSuSE shipping a vanilla kernel? I'm expecting them using a highly patched distro-kernel. In this case, nobody stops them backporting anything.

Upstream I don't expect wireguard to be backported to stables kernels. It's not a bugfix.

Comment

I'm hoping this gets backported for RHEL 8.2/8.3.

Comment

(Or if it has to stay as kml?)
            Regarding Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, as discussed back in December:

There are early discussions going on over the possibility of shipping WireGuard support in Ubuntu 20.04 LTS that could be done either using the existing DKMS kernel module or patching their Linux 5.5-based kernel with WireGuard now that the necessary crypto API changes made it into that release. . . .

With Linux 5.5 having the crypto API bits for WireGuard, patching their kernel should be rather trivial if not there is already the DKMS WG module. We'll see where this leads for hopefully supporting this secure VPN tunnel tech on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.
            I'm not sure what the current plan is for Ubuntu 20.04. But If Ubuntu 20.04 doesn't ship with Linux 5.6, then I hope that 20.04 at least ships with Linux 5.5 patched with WireGuard.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
              I'm hoping this gets backported for RHEL 8.2/8.3.
              you believe in santa and unicorns?

Comment

(Or if it has to stay as KMP?)

Edit: Typo KMP (Kernel Modul Package), not KML
                Check out the wireguard-linux-compat git source repository here. It is being maintained in parallel to the kernel tree code for kernels as old as 3.10 (through to 5.5).

Comment

Originally posted by Spacefish View Post

you believe in santa and unicorns?
                  Long ago I did Not sure why you think it's not possible. Over the years Red Hat has backported tons of stuff to various kernels so I certainly hope they will include WireGuard in EL8.{2,3}.

Comment

As a programmer myself I know it's possible, the only question is if the resources towards making it happen worth it (Well hell yeah it is) so it will be tried to be backported. But if you follow the kernel message-boards to why WireGuard was not implemented in the first place through earlier revisions you'll know that some other modules (don't remember what the name was) had to be remade which automatically cause problems for other things.

But I have no doubt in my mind that it will be tried to backport this feature, how much problems it will cause is the question really (but it be worth it).

Comment

Working...
                    X