No announcement yet.

Linux 5.5 Required More Deblobbing Than Usual For GNU Linux-libre 5.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I would do something important I would use Libre Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post

I guess you don't mind the Orvellian future we're in. I'm glad someone is taking the time to do this. Even looking at the list is infuriating. NONE OF THOSE NEED THE MICROCODE BLOBS!
      Yes, an OS that doesn't support any of the hardware I have. That's totally the solution to the "Orvellian" (sic) future we're living in. What a bigot, my god.

Comment

Yes, that will teach those evil corporation to not put malicious blobs on a regular filesystem where they could be easier analyzed.
        Best run your libre stuff with closed hardware that never could have malicious blobs in an eeprom, potentially even on-chip. If you don't see if in your kernel log it can't be there.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post

Yes, an OS that doesn't support any of the hardware I have. That's totally the solution to the "Orvellian" (sic) future we're living in. What a bigot, my god.
          Lol a "bigot" on basically a human rights/tech issue. You're so funny. None of these need to be there. There's absolutely no reason why these blobs need to be closed source and in many cases they're only there so that the OS doesn't have full control over the device and it runs it's own little computer setup.

Open sourcing drivers has turned from what it was supposed to be into basically a "move the stinky parts to the firmware blobs and open source the rest to keep them happy" process with a "and let them fix our shit for free" at the end.

Comment

Can any modern laptops and desktops be expected to function with a deblogged Linux libre kernel or only old, FSF certified machines?

Comment

Working...
            X