Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.5 Released With Many Hardware Support Improvements

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    muncrief - Is your R9 390 working well with Linux 5.5 ?

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

      A real Linux Enthusiast uses a drm-next kernel two versions newer than the current stable
      Ok you are right - I feel like a wannabe now .... *I need to recompile a Kernel to raise my mood*

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

        A real Linux Enthusiast uses a drm-next kernel two versions newer than the current stable
        Too bad the current drm-next kernel on Arch is like 5.4.0. But anyway if anyone's wondering I patched a kernel with the Navi overclocking patches the other day with my 5600 XT and it seems to be working well.

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by gardotd426 View Post

          Too bad the current drm-next kernel on Arch is like 5.4.0. But anyway if anyone's wondering I patched a kernel with the Navi overclocking patches the other day with my 5600 XT and it seems to be working well.
          git://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/linux

          Comment


          • #15

            Torvalds has the Linux 5.5 codename under the title of the "Kleptomaniac Octopus."
            Oops, someone forgot to update the name from 5.4.

            https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux...akefile?h=v5.4

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
              That only got updated in arch the other day, I installed it last Wed. when my 5600 XT came in and it was 5.4.0.abunchofnumbers. It got updated last night during my every-couple days update though.

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
                muncrief - Is your R9 390 working well with Linux 5.5 ?
                I moved my R9 390 to my Windows 10 VM because my son said he wanted to start playing Destiny 2 with me, and unfortunately I couldn't get it to run under Wine. So right now all I have for Linux is an awful GT 710.

                And the worst part is after taking my computer apart and moving the GPUs (which wasn't easy because the R9 390 is huge so I had to move multiple cards) he only played it with me once! If he doesn't find the time to actually start playing it on a semi-regular basis I'm just going to move it back though

                Comment


                • #18
                  Unfortunately, I'm having problems with resume from suspend again on CIK so looks like I'm stuck with 5.4 for now. I'm sure my NVMe temps are fine.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by gardotd426 View Post

                    That only got updated in arch the other day, I installed it last Wed. when my 5600 XT came in and it was 5.4.0.abunchofnumbers. It got updated last night during my every-couple days update though.
                    Dude, those are git packages and the version number auto-updates to whatever master is whenever you run makepkg.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

                      Dude, those are git packages and the version number auto-updates to whatever master is whenever you run makepkg.
                      No. Either the linux-amd-staging-drm-next-git kernel git repository is STILL only on 5.4.0-rc7, or something is wrong with the AUR. Because when building, it DOES say that it's cloning the repository. So in theory, it's the most up to date kernel available from them. However I have, according to yay, "linux-amd-staging-drm-next-git-5.5.875752.a90553955f0c-1" but it's actually only on kernel 5.4.0-rc7-1-amd-staging-drm-next-git-01924-ga90443955f0c. I don't know why the AUR is reporting this as kernel 5.5, but it's not. linux-amd-staging-drm-next-git is incredibly outdated. And no, it's not just neofetch misreporting the kernel.

                      "uname -r
                      5.4.0-rc7-1-amd-staging-drm-next-git-01924-ga90553955f0c"

                      And it's not because I'm on Manjaro or anything, nor is it because I haven't updated. I'm running vanilla Arch, and I updated today, and actually linux-amd-staging-drm-next-git was one of the packages that had an update. Plus with AUR packages Manjaro is on the exact same timeline as Arch, it's only behind 3-4 weeks on official repo packages. So it was freshly built against that repo TODAY. And yet it's not 5.5. So you are, in fact, wrong. It took me this long to respond because I hardly ever boot into this kernel (and now I remember why, because it's so old) and when you posted your reply I went and looked at "pacman -Q | grep -i linux-amd-staging-drm-next-git" and it showed the package number as 5.5 so I was like "Hmm, I must have been wrong," but then when it got updated today I booted into it to see how it was working with my 5600 XT. Welp, no it's still 5.4.0-rc7, which is months old, and it doesn't have any of the 5600 XT packages or navi overclocking capability. So it is in fact months old.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X