Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine Is Approaching Six Million Lines

Phoronix: Wine Is Approaching Six Million Lines Of Code

Given yesterday's release of Wine 5.0 I was curious to run some development stats on Wine Git as of the 5.0 release tag for seeing how development is trending on this wildly popular program among Linux users especially for running Windows games and applications...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What's up with all these wildly inaccurate SLOC counts being posted recently? I just ran several counters on the wine repo and it's just slightly over 3,000,000 lines. The systemd one a few days back was completely wrong too.

Comment

Originally posted by xinorom View Post
      What's up with all these wildly inaccurate SLOC counts being posted recently? I just ran several counters on the wine repo and it's just slightly over 3,000,000 lines. The systemd one a few days back was completely wrong too.
      Is it maybe looking at the code in dev branches and other stuff like that?

Comment

Bloat

Comment

In twenty years, Wine will be a better way to run software for Windows 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, and 10 than the originals ever were.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
            In twenty years, Wine will be a better way to run software for Windows 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, and 10 than the originals ever were.
            I personally hope we will not need to run windows software at all (nevermind so ancient one) by then.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              I personally hope we will not need to run windows software at all (nevermind so ancient one) by then.
              In a better world.

Comment

The only thing I want from Wine are games working well.

Productivity software is covered quite nicely for my needs with Linux native alternatives. GIMP w/ Plugins and LibreOffice are overkill for my needs even. Tax preparation software was my main issue before (since I wont trust Wine to run something critical like TaxAct or Turbotax) but now I just use Credit Karma online tax preparation.

Comment

interestingly, the openhub lines of code count is significantly different from the GitStats with only 3.4 MLoC.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    Is it maybe looking at the code in dev branches and other stuff like that?
                    Maybe, but counting that wouldn't make much sense.

I think a more likely case is that Michael is too lazy to measure properly, so just made a low-effort article out of the first (wrong) figure he came across.

Comment

Working...
                    X