Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post

I meant 3900X, whatever.

It works perfectly fine on 5.4, it fails consistently on 5.3. How on Earth did you come to the conclusion that it's a hardware issue then? Elementary logic.
    and what is the problem ? 5.4 is current stable since month. my xeon 2286 also runs better on 5.4. with 5.3 it is more likely to get thermal throttled. btw b450 pro auros might also be working on the edge of its power delivery abilities.

Comment

Originally posted by ktecho View Post

Yeah, we don't know all the Intel vulnerabilities, but we know all the AMD ones, right?
      Would you buy a car where the brakes were known to fail...or one that had been through the same tests and the brakes were proven not to fail?

Comment

(I can't edit my prev comment) I also read A LOT of random complaint threads about these. The workarounds are even more staggering, like disable all CPU scaling in UEFI. Or disable PSU whatever states, I can't even remember all this random cr@p. Like we live in the year 2020 but CPU scaling still is a challenge?

Then again, that's exactly the reason why I already gave up on AMD once many many years ago.
        Because you can't go in BIOS and find an option to disable it?

The "PSU whatever states" actually Power Supply Idle Control is the actual firmware-level workaround for hardware bugs in first and second gen Ryzens, and it's only partially disabling C6 state, which is completely inconsequential for a desktop system.

Comment

Originally posted by ktecho View Post
          In the end you need stuff to work. I read each benchmark that Michael does when a new Ryzen or Threadripper goes to market because I like how powerful they are. But last year I needed to build a PC and I went for a 8700k as I needed to start working on it. Didn't have the time to skim through forums for RAM sticks that work with a specific mobo.
          Sorry what? As long as you aren't overclocking RAM (which is mostly pointless for a CPU nowadays) you can install whatever branded RAM you want.

All the complaints are from overclockers, and they are free to whine if something can't OC as high as they wanted to, but it's never guaranteed so whatever.

You sure you know how to troll properly? Because it seems you don't.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            Sorry what? As long as you aren't overclocking RAM (which is mostly pointless for a CPU nowadays)
            Isn't RAM overclocking the only useful overclocking anymore on Ryzen?

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
              Useful overclocking died long ago. Overclocking now is a sport.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
                Yes, also timing tuning. I could run some tests with a Ryzen 3600X and Shadow of the Tomb Raider saw +30% more fps in total CPU bound scenario with 3600 tuned RAM vs. 3200 XMP CL14. Overclocking the CPU just runs into voltage and clock walls.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                  Yes, also timing tuning. I could run some tests with a Ryzen 3600X and Shadow of the Tomb Raider saw +30% more fps in total CPU bound scenario with 3600 tuned RAM vs. 3200 XMP CL14. Overclocking the CPU just runs into voltage and clock walls.
                  That's a seriously unrealistic scenario. Seriously man, I would only be expecting around 12% better throughput (DDR4-3600 vs 3200) in a synthetic memory bandwidth benchmark. The impact on CPU bound tasks might be 1-2%, while games, otoh, are often not CPU bound at all.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                    That's a seriously unrealistic scenario. Seriously man, I would only be expecting around 12% better throughput (DDR4-3600 vs 3200) in a synthetic memory bandwidth benchmark. The impact on CPU bound tasks might be 1-2%, while games, otoh, are often not CPU bound at all.
                    Apparently you don't understand how Ryzen cores are connected in non-monolithic designs and what the implications of this are for games with heavy multithreading + heavy thread dependencies.
                    That the SotTR game reacts by a lot to this is also proven by others (use search machine), so perhaps keep your uneducated opinion to urself or ask kindly so that someone might explain it to you.

Comment

20.04 can't come soon enough, currently I'm forced to use a mix of 18.04 and some 20.04 kernel packages (5.4 as of now) via some lovely apt pinning mess, since the 3990X + Aorus B450 Pro are complete cr@p on 5.3 (that's the latest available via hwe-edge). Hard freezes like every half hour. The best part is that every time this happens it results in one of 2 things: a) it resets BIOS settings b) bluetooth is gone until I power cycle the PSU. Quite ridiculous.

Dunno what's up with this system, but it does the same even on Windows 10 1909, unless you stumble upon the latest B450 chipstet drivers directly from AMD. No, Windows Update won't install them, the Gigabyte support page does not have them. Only amd.com.

Software wise, this Zen 2 rollout sure is a mess. It's been 6 months, but we still need various quirks to make it work.
                      I have a AMD Ryzen 9 3900X too and it worked really stable for me since day 1, but I specifically bought a x570 board as I was worried about the increased power requirements. Plus I wanted to use DDR-3600 RAM.

My previous Ryzen 7 1700 suffers as well from the mentioned power supply idle bug. In this case AMD should have done more to provide stable systems to their customers.

Where AMD really struggles with are APU's... I don't know why, but it took AMD really really long to get them mostly stable, just some weeks ago I suffered from GPU resets on my Ryzen 5 2500U just by starting Plasma. And the Ryzen 3 2200 had many issues as well (firmware bugs, ...).

Anyway I do buy only AMD systems as they get better over time. With Intel you can only be sure that performance decreases drastically, what was it just now, 50% for my Haswell? :-(

Comment

Working...
                      X