No announcement yet.

Linux 5.6 Crypto Getting AVX/AVX2/AVX-512 Optimized Poly1305 - Helps WireGuard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.6 Crypto Getting AVX/AVX2/AVX-512 Optimized Poly1305 - Helps WireGuard

Phoronix: Linux 5.6 Crypto Getting AVX/AVX2/AVX-512 Optimized Poly1305 - Helps WireGuard

Now that lead WireGuard lead developer Jason Donenfeld has managed to get this secure VPN tunnel technology queued for introduction in Linux 5.6 mainline, he's begun optimizing other areas of the kernel for optimal WireGuard performance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What happened to Zinc? Will it be developed?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      What happened to Zinc? Will it be developed?
      The current state of the tree is "Frankenzinc", some really disturbed hybrid of Zinc things and bad things. That's gradually being changed in an evolutionary manner. Regard this Poly1305 patch series as an evolutionary step in that direction.

Comment

This is pretty cool today. Tomorrow we will have to disable AVX with the next security mitigation.

Comment

Originally posted by zx2c4 View Post

The current state of the tree is "Frankenzinc", some really disturbed hybrid of Zinc things and bad things. That's gradually being changed in an evolutionary manner. Regard this Poly1305 patch series as an evolutionary step in that direction.
          Thanks for all the hard work! We all really appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
            This is pretty cool today. Tomorrow we will have to disable AVX with the next security mitigation.
            Why would it matter for security? If Intel adds more ALUs to your CPU, does it become less secure?

Comment

Glad to see that you were able to reach an interim compromise. I'm sure they'll come around now that you've met them half way, and in the intervening time, mainline Linux will have WireGuard!

P.S. I've managed to distribute about half of your generous packet of stickers, and only to people who know what it is or were willing to hear. Keep up the good work! :- )

Comment

zx2c4
                I read a lot about optimizations for intel processors. What about AMD? How is the performance, running those crypto routines on AMD processors? (CPU's, APU's) In general, and compared to intel processors?

Thanks in advance for a short feedback.

And BIG thanks for your great work on wireguard.
                (Already have wireguard in my openSUSE box (notebook) as kernel modules. Can't wait, until it is implemented in / available for the used firewalls (ZyXEL, Fortigate, etc.) for safe and fast access to the company networks from the road.)

Comment

Originally posted by rgloor View Post
                  zx2c4
                  I read a lot about optimizations for intel processors. What about AMD? How is the performance, running those crypto routines on AMD processors? (CPU's, APU's) In general, and compared to intel processors?
                  Recent AMD chips have AVX and AVX2, so performance should be generally okay. IIRC, the prior generation's AVX2 support was actually just bonding 2 128bit operations, which wasn't great, but newer CPUs now do it for real.

Comment

Recent AMD chips have AVX and AVX2, so performance should be generally okay. IIRC, the prior generation's AVX2 support was actually just bonding 2 128bit operations, which wasn't great, but newer CPUs now do it for real.
                    Now we just need AVX-512 on Ryzen 4 and I never need another Intel CPU again!

Comment

Working...
                    X