Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRUB Boot Loader Adds Support For LUKS2 Encrypted Disks

Phoronix: GRUB Boot Loader Adds Support For LUKS2 Encrypted Disks

The GRUB boot-loader has finally merged support for dealing with LUKS2 encrypted disks...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So can Debian provide a proper LUKS usage in the installer, so it could create lvm setup without the need for un-encrypted boot partition? Right now there is no way to do it in the installer, and doing it manually first and then making install eat that prepared setup is very messy.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
      So can Debian provide a proper LUKS usage in the installer, so it could create lvm setup without the need for un-encrypted boot partition? Right now there is no way to do it in the installer, and doing it manually first and then making install eat that prepared setup is very messy.
      This sort of setup is a lot simpler to do in Manjaro's Architect ISO - just mount your custom system under /mnt & run "setup". After running through the sequence of steps in the installer select the "chroot into installation" option to setup /etc/crypttab & /etc/default/grub.

If you run your root filesystem on BTRFS you also do not need a boot partition.

If your system is UEFI you can also just mount the ESP at /efi

Your system will start to boot in the ITER time + 4-5 seconds for grub to unlock your encrypted root.

Comment

Nice, as right now there is still a hole in my boot chain: the initramfs isn't signed with secureboot, and isn't on an encrypted partition.

I use refind more nowadays, though.

Originally posted by itoffshore View Post

This sort of setup is a lot simpler to do in Manjaro's Architect ISO - just mount your custom system under /mnt & run "setup". After running through the sequence of steps in the installer select the "chroot into installation" option to setup /etc/crypttab & /etc/default/grub.

Your system will start to boot in the ITER time + 4-5 seconds for grub to unlock your encrypted root.
        How does the partitionless boot work? You're assuming EFI, right? You still need a FAT-formatted partition to contain the boot executables, AFAIK?

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
          Nice, as right now there is still a hole in my boot chain: the initramfs isn't signed with secureboot, and isn't on an encrypted partition.

How does the partitionless boot work? You're assuming EFI, right? You still need a FAT-formatted partition to contain the boot executables, AFAIK?
          It works as you have an unencrypted EFI partition, and that is configured to unlocked a luks partition, and then load. Previous limitation was luks1. Luks2 adds all kinds of new hardening.

Still not supported using anything but a password as a key, it would be nice to use a key file on a USB stick, or even a yubikey

Then load your own CA into the bios. That is my next project. TPMs are cheap, I got one first party from my motherboard manufacturer for about $30 new.

Comment

My initramfs & boot images are stored under the encrypted root in /boot with strong permissions

The unencrypted FAT32 ESP only contains the EFI loaders for GRUB & Refind.

The Arch Wiki has some notes for secure boot with refind

Comment

About time.

Comment

You can store the initramfs under /boot in a separate partition, and encrypt that, but your bootloader must then be able to decrypt that partition (GRUB can for example).

Or you could use EFISTUB and just have EFI boot the kernel directly.

Comment

Originally posted by itoffshore View Post

Well, Debian should support it too.

Comment

well, as for Void Linux, how do I make sure it now installs with grub and luks2 when using chroot? I used to have "--type luks1" in my cryptsetup command. Can I find out other than trial & error?

Comment

Working...
                    X